Pioneer (HDJ-500) headphones volume problem

Boosster

Joined Mar 13, 2021
Hi! recently the left speaker began to sound lower than the right, shortly after it does not make any sound and only "returns" with distortion by raising the volume to the maximum. However, when the volume is lowered, it is muted again. Before opening them I would like to know if it is more likely that it is an error in the cable that surrounds the headband or that the speaker has been desoldered with it. Thanks for read.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What are you plugging the phones into? That could be causing the problem.
Try another set of phones. That will let you know where the problem is.

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
At the connector plug (I am guessing that it is a 3.5mm stereo jack connector as you have provided no information.) Measure the resistance between the common and each channel. I would expect the readings to be almost the same. If they are not then it would suggest that the fault was in the cable. (Or the voice coil in the speaker unit. Have you tried the headphones plugged into a different sound source ?

Les.

Boosster

Joined Mar 13, 2021
They are headband headphones, the problem persists no matter where they are used (pc, cell phone). The left horn vibrates as if a small thing is hitting something. Stop sounding at low volume, I have to turn it up to maximum and move the audio balance towards that speaker.I attach an image of them and others exactly the same open that I can use as a spare
20210313_091046.jpg20210313_090947.jpg

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
There are electrically conductive adhesives used for repairing car window defrosters and stuff. "Permatex® Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit" is one brand. $17 Canadian, and it's probably single-use only (can't be resealed once opened), so it's an expensive gamble (unless you also happen to have a car window defroster that needs fixing).
But after looking at the picture... maybe you can glue down a scrap of PC board to use as a junction block, solder the wire from the plug to it, then add a jumper wire to the voice coil connection. The jumper can be a piece of skinny wire like from a junked USB cable or magnet wire from a relay or transformer; over the short distance, resistance won't matter. You may need to scrape varnish insulation off what appears to be a bare wire before it can be soldered; a "hobby knife" (X-Acto or a dollar store equivalent) is suitable.