Piezo Transducer Driver Circuit

h.yakub

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Item #2 makes a great deal of difference! My original understanding was that the transducer was looking down at the surface of the water in the metal container. Now I understand that is not the case, that the signal must first drive the material of the container which in turn drives the air above the surface of the water, and then the return echo must vibrate the container material thus driving the detector.That is not how industrial ultrasonic level detectors work. The probe on those devices penetrates the top of the container so that there is nothing in the way of the ultrasonic energy. While in theory it is possible to make the system as desired provide adequate results, it is not reasonable to expect it to happen without a whole lot more effort and expense. So I suggest an alternate approach if there is not a way to give the probe a direct view of the water surface. That would be to use an insulated capacitive probe that enters the container through the same top opening, presuming that there is such an opening. It could also enter through a bottom opening if that were the only one available. The probe would sense the level of the water as a difference in capacitance between the insulated probe and the conductive container material, which the capacitance would affect the frequency of an oscillator. measuring the frequency of the oscillator is straightforward and easily done, and would provide a high resolution analog of the fluid height in the container..

AND, from the description of the container size, it may be the water tank of a water pump well system installed for home use. At that point I offer a caution, which is that those tanks include a diaphram to separate the water from the air, and so the challenge becomes different. One more reason for the TS to give all the details with the initial questions.
Your assumption is way of the mark. its an steel beer keg, which has no opening on the top and bottom..:p

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Your assumption is way of the mark. its an steel beer keg, which has no opening on the top and bottom..:p
Ahhhh! at last the problem becomes clear! And its relevance is revealed as of paramount importance!

Seriously now, I find all this very interesting, and I plan to follow this thread quite closely.

Thanks for sharing.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Continue work on 5V driver circuit.
Main problem is to find equivalent circuit for real transducer 1MHz.
May be @Bordodynov has one?
Below is 5V driver with homemade equivalent circuit of transducer.upload_2019-4-20_1-35-14.png

Attachments

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
In my collection of models and examples there are more advanced piezo-acoustics modeling. See examples / Kubov / PiezoAcoustic
File:
PiezoAcoustic.pdf
PiezoElement.asc
Piezoelement.asy
SubstFin.asc
Substfin.asy
SubstInf.asc
SubstInf.asy
TestEcho.asc
TestEcho.plt
TestRezonatorAir.asc
TestRezonatorAir.plt
TestRezonatorWater.asc
TestRezonatorWater.plt

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If I understood the TS's notes in another Thread, he realises for his application this method will not work as required.
He is currently developing a weigh scale method for the metal 'keg type' containers.

Putting more acoustic energy into a metal drum, which will generate internal multiple reflections and trying to detect a weak surface echo is not the way to go.
E

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
hi,
If I understood the TS's notes in another Thread, he realises for his application this method will not work as required.
He is currently developing a weigh scale method for the metal 'keg type' containers.

Putting more acoustic energy into a metal drum, which will generate internal multiple reflections and trying to detect a weak surface echo is not the way to go.
E
Hi ericgibbs,
We already gave TS warnings about it. Good he realizes it now.
Anyway, according to topic of this thread, we can continue design of low voltage, high power driver for piezo transducer.
People interested in this thread (2,164 views for now).

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Danko,
I agree it is an interesting Thread.:)
I posted in case you had not seen the TS's newish Thread regarding using a load cell.
Eric

BTW: in your cicuit of post #183, where would you sample the returning echo signal for amplification.?

h.yakub

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Hi Danko & Ericgibbs,

Thanks for your support, but my focus is shifted from using ultrasonic to weight the keg to measure the level. As E.G said, I have started a new thread with Load cell. :)

This thread is closed from my side.