PIC16F690 two 7 segment

markosma16

Joined Jul 12, 2015
So I'm suppose to make a counter that output 0 to 99 using PIC16F690 with two 7 segments. Btw I'm using Flowcode v5. I put the ones digit at Port C(with 8 bits) so no problem on that part but I'm having a problem in tenths digit. I put the tenths digit at Port A (with 6 bits). My main concern is one segment doesn't lit (e.g. The display should be '9' but segment A doesn't lit up). Any suggestion?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Any suggestion?
Yes. Stop trying to use RA3 as an output. It's input only.

That thing has 20 pins. You need 14 of them. What the problem.
See the first post of this thread. Problem:
So I'm suppose to make a counter that output 0 to 99 using PIC16F690 with two 7 segments. Btw I'm using Flowcode v5. I put the ones digit at Port C(with 8 bits) so no problem on that part but I'm having a problem in tenths digit. I put the tenths digit at Port A (with 6 bits). My main concern is one segment doesn't lit (e.g. The display should be '9' but segment A doesn't lit up). Any suggestion?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well, RB4, RB5, RB6, RB7 all seem to still be free. You could use any of them. You have a 7 segment connected to 8 bit Port C, so there would seem to be a free bit there too.

I do not know how you drive a 7 segment display off 6 pins.

markosma16

Joined Jul 12, 2015
Well, RB4, RB5, RB6, RB7 all seem to still be free. You could use any of them. You have a 7 segment connected to 8 bit Port C, so there would seem to be a free bit there too.

I do not know how you drive a 7 segment display off 6 pins.

Unfortunately, only one port should be use in driving 7seg in flowcode v5. If I change one pin into portb, all pin will become port b too.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
So multiplexing solves the problem. All segments on one port and any other pin to alternate the digit drives.
I don't see how that works. If you don't want to do OP's homework for them, could you please send me a more detailed explanation or direct me to website/blog that talks about it.