PIC + Bluetooth + PC and schematics!!!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Check datasheets for levels required. Because all chips like MAX232 invert the RS232 signal, the PIC RS232 input and outputs are the opposite (also lower voltage) of normal serial signals. Some of these chips may need the signal the right way up.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I had a look at the suggested link by maxpower097 and found this:

http://www.goews.com/bluegiga_wt12_module which is $30
but I think I prefer this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10253 which is $15.95 but
But I also think that either one above Must be interface with a DB9 Solder cup male like this: http://goews.com/db9_solder_cup_male
Am I correct? this is for the microcontroller side!
EWS can build you anything you need. Just tell them what chip you wanna use or what specs you want. They will draw it up in a day or two and produce how ever many you want. The great thing about the Bluegiga iwrap firmware is you have a much easier instruction set for running the BT module and what you want it to do. The BG stuff basically takes a BT modules language and commands and turns it into "BASIC" and you send it by UART or USB. I'd still email em, tell em what your looking for and a number and he can at least tell you about other options, whats on the market, or point you in the right direction. :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Check datasheets for levels required. Because all chips like MAX232 invert the RS232 signal, the PIC RS232 input and outputs are the opposite (also lower voltage) of normal serial signals. Some of these chips may need the signal the right way up.
I use to run into that years and years ago.... but with most recent UART technology you don't have to worry about it anymore.... atleast I don't :) ...

I use the MAX232, MAX232CPE, and the MAX3232 with all sorts of projects involving PIC's and PC communication via UART and I have never run into any inverted data issues (just connect PIC to TTL side and PC on RS232 side).... But if he goes with the FTDI IC, he won't even have to deal with any of those RS232 Level Translator IC's....

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I think I'll go for BMorse suggestion as it looks simpler, however I have a few questions before ordering these FTDI chip *after tomorrow*:D

I like your diagrams on post#20

A quick *supid* question! the two suggested method will only use TX, RX and GND. correct? (well I already know this is the case for FTDI IC). And either method will not affect the way the program on PC (chess engine, or whatever...) communicate with the MCU, correct?

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I think I'll go for BMorse suggestion as it looks simpler, however I have a few questions before ordering these FTDI chip

I like your diagrams on post#20

A quick *supid* question! the two suggested method will only use TX, RX and GND. correct? (well I already know this is the case for FTDI IC). And either method will not affect the way the program on PC (chess engine, or whatever...) communicate with the MCU, correct?
DEV-09873 will be seen as normal serial port on your PC. Given that the driver is installed. The main benefit. Is that you can connect your pic directly to the FTDI chip. No need for any MAX232 circuit. You can also power your PIC from this device. But I am not sure how much current you can draw from it in 3.3 volt mode. Maybe Bmorse know. But I guess up 100mA should be OK.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Correct, there should not need to be any more connections than that from what I can tell from the datasheet for the BT modules, but you may want to thoroughly read the datasheets yourself and double check your work...

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Thanks all for your comments!

But for now I am not using BT modules!! will only try that when the wired connection has worked...BT integration would be just an enhancement of the system but its not important for now!

However, I am designing a single circuit that would accomodate the two (wired and BT connection) as mentioned in earlier post!

I will go more into details with everything that is needed for confirmation before I place my order...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
DEV-09873 will be seen as normal serial port on your PC. Given that the driver is installed. The main benefit is that you can connect your pic directly to the FTDI chip. No need for any MAX232 circuit. You can also power your PIC from this device. But I am not sure how much current you can draw from it in 3.3 volt mode. Maybe Bmorse know. But I guess up 100mA should be OK.
I plan to use PIC18F26K20, operating voltage: 1.8V - 3.6V
BT modules: 3.3V
FTDI IC:3.3V

So they can all be powered at 3.3V! A question that rises in my mind is the type/choice of power supply to buy to power the whole system!! any help on this one?

Another question is if PIC18F series is a good choice for this purpose or a PIC16F can do the job and no need to go for higher ones?

Thanks!

Attachments

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Attached is how I am envisioning my system!

I planning to have different hardware modules connected together...
this way if one part of the system is giving problem, it can simply be changed instead of changing the whole circuit! what do you think of this?

So what we have discussed so far will be inside the *uc circuit* block!
I will test this *uc circuit* on breadbord but actual implementation will be PCB

I am reading on DEV 09873.. I think I got something wrong...

thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Ima order soon! So I want to make sure I have not forgotten anything.

Here's my list:

1x FTDI Basic Breakout (DEV 09873);
1x USB Cable A to A (male to male);
3x Jumper wires (male to female) for TX, RX, GND;
1x polarized connector (for pin header on uc circuit);

anything else?

The above list is required for one connection *PIC to PC* but I'll order a couple of these! Always good to have spare parts.

Are these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9385 the appropriate *wires* to use?

How about the *pin header*? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8232 I would need the one with 3 pin, correct?

this willbe for the PCB!!

Thanks!