Physics Videos? Good, concise explanations rather than lectures.

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
I come across videos in other subjects online where an enthusiastic presenter can talk through diagrams, making seemingly difficult subject more manageable.
There must be good videos for physics, i just need to find them!

I'm 2nd year E.E. and im trying to build an intuitive understanding of how circuits work, but we never to to deep into the actual mechanics of how things work, more practice the use of formula.

Ideally deeper stuff on semiconductors and induction.

Hit me with your best Physics teachers!

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
Thanks for the reply, that's a nice catalog of videos there, I'm watching electric force now and i think that is the topic I'm looking for and will defiantly help me.

For this thread I thinking more in the style of Khan Academy than Uni lecture, but what you have posted is great and will keep me going nicely.

Cheers

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
Can anyone here help me find accessible material to help me understand solid-sate physics and other physical principles behind transistors

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
A second hand copy of The Solid State by H M Rosenberg from the Oxford Physics Series

would probably meet you needs rather well.

It is quite chatty and not too mathematical.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
What particular aspect of EE?

My last recommendation was aimed squarely at your need to understand the physics of transistors.

For this there is also the Open University set book

Materials for Electronics

I'm note at base at the moment so can't remember more details.

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
Sorry yes, Magnetism/Induction.
And other things along the lines of; how does the physical movement of electrons actually cause these phenomenons, how is the energy being transferred between bodies or states?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
“And other things along the lines of; how does the physical movement of electrons actually cause these phenomenons, how is the energy being transferred between bodies or states?”

No. This are no such videos, books or scientist that can intuitively explain it to you.
As a matter of fact, science says that’s impossible.

You see my friend, science says the the universe is not intuitive, and that’s why you can’t understand it.

In the modern science, contradiction does exist. Contradiction kills common sense and reason.
So what are the un-enlightened to do? Well most of us do not work on a fundamental level, so we hold our nose, take a gulp and move on. The equations have worked for years and we really can’t complain. But that is changing more now and science is going to have to step up to the plate.
I was lucky and introduced to particle physics in my teens. I have known your angst for over 40 years. I never found any meaningful explanations until I dropped out of modern science and became a crackpot. This is not funny and it is not easy.

But when I found the answers.......those answers, answered more questions than I knew I had.

See what I mean?

There now is a universal force law. This one law....one equation....can describe and predict all phenomena in the universe.
The reason I can say this is because there is only one entity in the physical universe. That entity is charge.
Charge is the only “thing” in the universe. Everything comes from charge. Nothing else. Just charge.

It’s unity by default.

The reason the universe works the way it does, is because of charge structure and the way it changes. This structure is a device that can be controlled.

Science is very political. If you deviate, many with label you.

If you are interested in the crackpot life, private message me and I will get you started.

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
Thank you studiot, That book looks good, but it costs more so it's in the wishlist for the time being.

BR-549,
I was aware that my question could not really be answered and even if it could, Presently my mind is in no position for any attempt at an answer to have any real impact in my understanding of nature, so in that sense, it is purely a linguistic construct describing a thought process i struggle with. An origin and a drive for my journey into physics.
In my late teens (not that long ago i suppose I'm only 21) i would look at the nights sky and feel a sadness and frustration, having come to the realisation that no matter what or how much i read i would never understand or even in the most basic scene appreciate something that was staring my right in the face. I know probably every aspect of nature is staring me in the face, but here i could study and think about the size of stars all i wanted, size and distance being perfectly intuitive!
and yet, eyes turned upward, the only thing i was learning about my reality was that these things i will never understand, and it saddened me.
But i have since come to terms of that aspect of learning about the world around me...
...ramble over, you have very much gained my cautions attention.
I'll PM you when i have something to PM, so ill sleep on it.

Last edited:

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
I'm a poor student, I'll get that in the next day or so, ill do the shopping first though, books are great but you can't eat them! cheers

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The cause of an action and the action itself does not change because you changed locations to observe it. What you observe might appear to be different, but the cause and the way the cause worked does not change.

The cause of an action and the action itself does not change because you are still, or moving slowly or moving very fast when you watch it. What you observe might appear to be different, but the cause and the way the cause works does not change.

That video is for kindergarten.

Real logic is serious, strict and severe.

And as we see......most fail at it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That video is for people who want to understand real science. If a kindergarten video is too complex for some, well you know that saying about horses and water.

THCynical

Joined May 5, 2014
An update

Both books have now arrived long enough for me to get to good look at them. Both are very good, pretty much what i was looking for and seem to complement each other nicely.

The second recommendation from Studiot (Electromagnetism for engineers, An introductory course)
is excellent as a supplement to my course in EE.

I have learned Solid state is a subject that i can only dip my toe in, i must learn to stand before i can walk.

I get some one-to-one time with one of my lectures in college and i put general questions to him weekly, we use both books but mainly the second. Solid State by H M Rosenberg, is great to have along with the video lectures, but the subject is just a bit beyond where i am now.

I have found a number of good Physics lecture videos, these help enormously in conjunction with the books
(And lecturer)

The Videos i have found most helpful:

Probably the most accessible Particle Physics video i have come across
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA/search?query=Particle+Physics

Solid State physics in a nutshell, short dense videos.

There are a bunch of very good lectures from Indian ITs on many subjects, this is one on solid state.
(I think the lecturer for QM is exceptional)

The videos really help, i try to watch at lease half of one a day.