Physics versus Fashion

janice.z

Joined Apr 21, 2009
At the moment I am working for myself on a very special topic about physical systems and how you can relate them with systems of fashion. Since I read a lot about fashion in the last time and came across the topic off the system of fashion I thought about combining and even crossing the physical meanings of systems with the fashion meanings of a system.

So there I take a physical notion and try to demonstrate with words and meanings of fashion.

What do you guys think about that project? Do you think it is worth working on it? Want to hear more for it? And is there anyone maybe also interested in this topic and wants to talk about it a little bit and interchange?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
At the moment I am working for myself on a very special topic about physical systems and how you can relate them with systems of fashion. Since I read a lot about fashion in the last time and came across the topic off the system of fashion I thought about combining and even crossing the physical meanings of systems with the fashion meanings of a system.

So there I take a physical notion and try to demonstrate with words and meanings of fashion.

What do you guys think about that project? Do you think it is worth working on it? Want to hear more for it? And is there anyone maybe also interested in this topic and wants to talk about it a little bit and interchange?
I'm not sure I understand. Can you define what you mean by "fashion". Are you talking about design-function versus design-aesthetics? Or is it something beyond this?

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Mathematicians use the word "elegant" to describe the superiority of one problem solution over another. The elegant solution does exactly what is needed with an economy of effort.

One way to look at this is using the right tool for the job. For example, if you want to put a small nail in the wall on which to hang a picture, you could wheel in a 200 HP aircompressor and hammer the tack in with a jackhammer. Alternatively, you could use a small ball-peen hammer to set the nail.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
It would be useful to hear from Janice again, especially as English is obviously not her first language (no disrespect meant).

'Fashion' could mean manufacturing technique as in 'fashioned' - Schools these days teach this as a subject distinct from science (physics)

Then again Janice could be referring to those ephemeral fads that depend upon flaunting new technology like those flashing lights in children's shoes. Fashion in this case comes and goes.

I see no evidence that she is looking for 'good' design, nor is there any such universal ideal.

White is the colour of mourning in China. It is against Islam to depict living creatures in pictures, which is why arab art is geometrically based.

The simplest example of an activity that has no universal ideals is cooking. One man's meat is definitely another's poison.