Isn't it just more of the same poles? I can build a motor with an even number of poles and call it n-pole motor. What this discovery is trying to say is something like N complex roots when we clearly have just 2 real roots (south and north pole). Anything from south to north can be achieved with a combination of distance from the pole, or with another pole pulling the field lines.
I know I'm maybe too uninformed to tell that, but that's a doubt I have, how can be so many poles? It's like saying we have more than + and - in electricity. (yes, we have infinite voltages, but it doesn't mean we have other than "more positive than" or "more negative than", besides being equal)
Or I am completely lost or these articles focus too much on click bait and filling with anything that catches the attention of nerds.
When I read "non news", I usually feel a different thing, much more driven by equations and real complex explanations. These articles seems like an unusual way of presenting physics, it's like it's more a magic thing than explaining anything at all.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2506.18978
It's a bulk QM property much like charged beam shaping (modifying beam shaping to a ribbon or spot for example) magnet assemblies.
I don't have the background required to read an advanced QM paper, so I'll ask: the octupole is what the quarks are doing inside each atom? So the overall effect is to have a dipole?