Photon Counting Circuit with a Silicon Photomultiplier

chocholikeme

Joined Jun 10, 2016
Hello Everyone, I am planning on building a circuit described in the attached image, "OverallSchematic".
The silicon photomultiplier (SiPM) I am using is MiniSM from SensL, 30035 version.
The signal I am receiving from MiniSM is shown in the attached image, "signal".
The time resolution on oscilloscope was around 25 ns to get an accurate representation, meaning the sampling frequency has to be at least 40 MHz.

1. Preamplifier:
I am trying to invert and amplify the signal so that the comparator only needs to work with positive voltage that does not go beyond 5V.
How do I go about finding a suitable Op amp in this case? What kind of parameter values do I need for my application (Gain Bandwidth Product)?

2. Comparator
I currently have a MAX997 which is failing miserably because I cannot quickly make pcb for it and grounding the SHDN pin for some reason fries the chip.
Is there any better option comparator that has an evaluation board that I can learn from? Since it needs to connect with a microcontroller, TTL output would work best. Also without preamplification, I would need to compare the signal with -4mV, which seems to be impossible, so I am also trying to find a suitable gain.

3. Microcontroller
Is there a fast enough microcontroller that can count the output from the comparator in a set window of time (as big as possible)? Or do I need an external counter? If I need to use a Bluetooth module, is Arduino DUE the best option to go?

Thank you all for your time. Please teach me!

Attachments

chocholikeme

Joined Jun 10, 2016
What about PIC microcontroller? they seem to have higher speed and HC-06 Bluetooth module should work...
Does anyone have suggestion for a specific PIC model?