"perpetual motion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
@ Georacer , a festive mood ,tell the guys about the real Saint Nicholas.
Actually, around here we don't have a St Nicholas nor Claus. We call him "Άγιος Βασίλης" (St. Basil). I think this is the link. We depict him the same as the rest of the world by now, thanks to globalization of the western world, but I do know the traditional story surrounding the saint and his relation to Christmas (at least the version I remember).

Christmas eve was an important date to the Christian world. The birth date of the Saviour was supposed to carry the message of love to the people.

He was a great figure of the Christian church at his time, an important man. I'm not sure what was the occasion exactly; one version of the story is that the local Roman prefect asked for all the citizens to pay tribute to the empire. People gave family jewels to St. Basil in order for him to deliver them. However, he managed to talk the prefect out of it. However, he then needed to return the jewels to their owners but he didn't know what belonged to whom.
He decided to bake pies and put one jewel in each one. He then gave one pie to each family publicly. Miraculously, each family received the correct jewel.

This story is commemorated and celebrated in the dinner table of the 31st of December, where we bake a pie (more like a cake/brioche) and put a coin or other small trinket beforehand. The cake is cut on the table and the person who gets the coin in his piece is considered to have good luck for the rest of the year.

Greek Orthodoxy celebrates St. Basil in the first of January and this is when St. Basil gives gifts to children, not the 25th of December.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
One of the best I read here on AAC is about some guy that wanted to charge his electric vehicle for free overnight by parking the car with solar collectors under florescent street lamps.

He would get more power by shining his headlights on to the solar panels.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Before you build a perpetual motion machine, be advised they can be very annoying. I couldn't count the number of times I have come home and found the thing running on it's own. And in the middle of the night, you will be woke up by it cranking up when you least expect it.

I have tried using zip ties on the spokes, but somehow it just keeps running.

Scares the dog when it starts up on it's own.

I guess I'll have to bury it in the back yard again to get some peace in the house.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
How did this post start off with a pseudo-perpetual-motion-machine and end up talking about Saint Nicholas? :eek:

Perhaps I should read more than just the first and last pages :p:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
One of the best I read here on AAC is about some guy that wanted to charge his electric vehicle for free overnight by parking the car with solar collectors under florescent street lamps.

He would get more power by shining his headlights on to the solar panels.
I remember that one and have to agree. :p

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How did this post start off with a pseudo-perpetual-motion-machine and end up talking about Saint Nicholas? :eek:

Perhaps I should read more than just the first and last pages :p:D
Maybe a flying sleigh powered by the same eight (or by some accounts nine) reindeer for several hundred years qualifies as a pseudo-perpetual-motion-machine. :D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Actually, around here we don't have a St Nicholas nor Claus.
During my first trip to France, I was to attend a meeting at a facility near the west coast. My driver spoke no English, and my French was rudimentary. During the two hour trip, I kept trying to understand where he was taking me, and each time, his reply sounded exactly like "Santa Claus." When we finally arrived, I saw that the name of the town was St. Nicolas. I should have known, but I failed to make the connection until I saw the sign.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is a science site. The reason Beenthere came down so hard is we were being swamped. Let's not allow that trend to continue or restart, shall we?

Signed, The Grump

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Aye aye, sir!

If anyone wants to comment on the festive stuff written on this thread, create a new one and I'll move them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.