Peltiers, I want to make a small cooler

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hello. (sorry my english)
I want to make a small cooler. I´m going to use a aluminium vat 80x80mm. In the sides and the top I´m going to isolate it and in tue bottom I´m going to put 4 peltiers. In the hot side I´m goingo to fix a copper plate whit coper pipe to the refrigeration.

The question is. I have no idea about what peltiers are the best. Is an experiment, so I don´t want to expend so much. I see some 12v peltiers that can consume up to 15 amps, what is a lot for me. But maybe in the future I can get this currents, so if I use these and instead 15amps, I give them for example 5 amps each, will they work at 1/3 of their power or is better use other with less power? I mean, to use this in the mean tome I get a biger power supply

Thank you

Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello. (sorry my english)
I want to make a small cooler. I´m going to use a aluminium vat 80x80mm. In the sides and the top I´m going to isolate it and in tue bottom I´m going to put 4 peltiers. In the hot side I´m goingo to fix a copper plate whit coper pipe to the refrigeration.

The question is. I have no idea about what peltiers are the best. Is an experiment, so I don´t want to expend so much. I see some 12v peltiers that can consume up to 15 amps, what is a lot for me. But maybe in the future I can get this currents, so if I use these and instead 15amps, I give them for example 5 amps each, will they work at 1/3 of their power or is better use other with less power? I mean, to use this in the mean tome I get a biger power supply

Thank you

Best regards
Look for a used wine refrigerator or other device - you'll get the whole system, heat pipe, pelitier, power supply, thermostat. They do take a lot of power, not exactly a battery-operated device unless you want to port along some big lead-acid batteries.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to know:
1) ambient temperature, i.e. room temperature
2) target cooling temperature
3) volume of material you need to cool

TEC1-12706 is very popular, measures 40 x 40 mm and runs on 12V 5A = 60W.

1668885689008.png

The important parameter is the temperature difference, i.e. ambient temperature - target temperature.
Also it is very important to actively remove the heat from the hot size. Failing to do so will destroy the TEC.

Buena suerte!

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Thanks for your answers.

I have looked for a wine refrigerator but I haven´t finde anything in my city, and I enjoy making this things.

About the TEC, I have just remember I have a PSU that can give 24V and 10 amps, so if I get for example 4, in series and parallel I can use it.

If I get a bigger PSU and buy a more powerful peltier, what I get? A colder temperature, a quicker temperature decrease or both?

Thank you

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Peltiers are woefully inefficient as coolers. IMHO in most situations you're better off either with blocks of ice or a proper mini fridge. I'm tempted to suggest modifying a discarded office water cooler (the things that take the big inverted bottles of water), but having watched a friend attempt to fit one into a vintage ice box, it would really help to know a friendly refrigeration mechanic.