PDIP-8 1-2W power amplifier suggestion?

vol_

Joined Dec 2, 2015
Does anyone have used a PDIP-8 1-2W power amplifier IC that is still produced and its good for new designs? The best IC i found (not tested) is TDA7233 by ST, but its an SMD component.

I would like to use it as an audio and/or instrumentation amplifier (acoustical instruments and/or electric guitar).

Industry makes me run into the SMD process, but its still not the time for me.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Get an adapter board like this:

upload_2016-5-10_8-13-50.png

Price at Digikey is about $.75 for each unit (note 4 units per board).

The SMD package size for that chip is not that small. The chance of finding something to meet your specification is dwindling as each day goes by.

John

vol_

Joined Dec 2, 2015
And the power supply voltage is ?? And why do you not to try to build a simple discrete amplifier?
Oh yes, 6-9V. Discrete you mean transistors right? This is what i actually would like, i just want to start pcb printing and after desgin a discrete transistors amp.

Last edited:

vol_

Joined Dec 2, 2015
Yes, but op amp + BJT are also allowed.

From 9V and RL = 4Ω we can get Pout = 4.5V^2/(2*4Ω) = 2.5W for ideal case or (9V^2)/(2*4Ω) = 10W for bridge amp in theory.
In real life the output power will be much less than this, because of a amplifier saturation voltage.
Many things that warn me are present now. For audio i have this, no theoretical or experience reason, to be clamped at RL=8R. In the other hand, i am using op amps but i don't prefer them. Again this is just my feeling. Actually i would like BJT pre-amplifiers and AB class IC power amps. I feel the sound will be better then. Any recommendations are appreciated, including the previous one. I know that feelings is not good for electronics design, and now i know this a bit more.
By saying good sound i mean tube-like warm and crispy sound.
I built a 12V supply tl072 + tea2025b (about 2+2W stereo) audio amp with 2 woofers and 2 tweeters in a, not mdf, decent wood sound box and came to be better than many portable and pc speakers systems i have heard reproducing sound. And i concluded that this was a result of the use tweeters and the use of good wood quality. And even the sound box was not sound designed. And the preamplifier was a result of experimentation with the external components and no theoretical design. And this thing has warm mid-bass sound and i can here really crispy the high hats and high frequencies.