PCI Device

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
Greetings,

I have a litte exotic project that I need some help to execute... Here is the description.

I am interested in develop a Data Acquisition Module based on the 8051 microcontroller interfaced with the PCI bus. However, I cannot find any document or any reference to a text that describles the full electrical characterics of the PCI bus.

Could anyone inform me some references that contains something to initiate this project? I also need to learn how to develop a PCI periferal from scratch.

Thanks,
FBorges22

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Hi,

Do you really need the bandwidth associated with the PCI bus? I cannot imagine an 8051 uC being able to max out a USB high speed bus bandwidth, why not use USB or maybe ethernet?

Steve

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I don't know of any microcontroller that can utilize the full bandwidth of the PCI bus. These are usually ASICs, or at least FPGAs.

You're going about the process backwards I think. Find out what bandwidth you need, then find a PC interface that will allow such bandwidth and is easy to use. I don't know what sort of DAQ you'll be doing, so I don't know...

Steve