PCB plan reading. How can we do that!

PaulEngineer

Joined Dec 21, 2016
Hello guys! I love very much the AAC because it helps me to solve many questions about electronics (sorry for too much threads). So in this case I would like to send a thread, that I think it is very important, so I felt that is very good way to add this thread, not just for me, but for everyone who would like to learn about this ,very special, but not so easy for beginners, question. As the title says, I would like to learn, how to read the electronic plan, and based on this plan, build the appropriate PCB? I know how to read some very simple circuit plans (for beginners) but I cannot understand the big circuits (like this one that I send in photo). As I said, I felt that is very important for me to add this question because if I will learn to read big electronic plans I will make my own with my own components!! Because the first thing that should to know every electronic is to read circuit plans and their functions depends of their position and connectivity by other components! So if could someone help on this question I would be very happy! Thanks

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to understand the circuit, or produce a PCB based on the schematic? These are very different tasks and you could complete one of them without making any progress towards the other.

PaulEngineer

Joined Dec 21, 2016
The second choice! Actually I would like to learn:
1) How to read the electronic plans like this one in the photo (it is just example)

2) How to build a PCB based on any circuit schematic (this question is different and general)

I know that this 2 things is different, that why I asked 2 questions
How to read circuit schematics, and second question how to build a PCB based on any circuit schematic!
Sorry if I didn't been specific with my question!

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The second choice! Actually I would like to learn:
1) How to read the electronic plans like this one in the photo (it is just example)

2) How to build a PCB based on any circuit schematic (this question is different and general)

I know that this 2 things is different, that why I asked 2 questions
How to read circuit schematics, and second question how to build a PCB based on any circuit schematic!
Sorry if I didn't been specific with my question!
Education and experience.

PaulEngineer

Joined Dec 21, 2016
Start with small circuits then build your way up to the more complex.
That actually I do along time! But I cannot understand about this circuits! I see just cables and some components that only god knows how they are joined and how can I read this! XD

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That actually I do along time! But I cannot understand about this circuits! I see just cables and some components that only god knows how they are joined and how can I read this! XD
Perhaps that is because you think

Education I'm not sure about that
If you starting with a well-laid out schematic, them a good portion of your PCB layout can use that as a starting guide. But in general a schematic seldom captures key aspects of the circuit that affect layout, such as nodes that are sensitive to various types of noise and that need isolation from other parts of the circuit or the outside world. You also have power/ground routing considerations that are almost never apparent on a schematic. That is where education (some from formal education, some from self-education, and some from trial/error experience) plays a major role.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The first requirements for reading a schematic are 1) being able to recognise each symbol used and 2) understanding (at least in general terms) the properties of each component represented by the symbols. From there you progress to recognising simple groups of components (sub-circuits) as being for example a low-pass filter, a full-wave rectifier, an amplifier stage, an oscillator, etc. It is then a matter of identifying such sub-circuits within a much larger circuit. As said above, all this comes with education/experience; it's not achievable overnight.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How long did it take you to learn to read?
It is like that.

You learn simple words first. (symbols of components).
You learn the meaning of new words (component function).
You learn grammar. (circuit rules, Ohm's Law, how components connect with each other).
You learn simple sentences. (simple circuits and function).

Finally, you recognize whole paragraphs (the big picture of a complete circuit diagram).

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'll just add that, while you can get away with minimal understanding if you're reproducing a simple circuit, you'll likely be frustrated by trying this approach with a larger project such as your subwoofer amp. The best of us will make simple mistakes when we build. There's a good possibility that your amp won't work the first moment you power it on. If you don't understand the circuit, how can you hope to diagnose it? What is the schematic is not "robust" in the first place? There are plenty of schematics online that just came out of someone's head and have never been built.

A complete kit includes a schematic that has been reviewed, a circuit board layout, and a parts list along with a discussion of the basic functions and critical parameters. This all raises the odds of your project working out, but even with all of that there is still a chance it won't. It'd be like building a bicycle without any idea how it works. You might get lucky, but a little knowledge is invaluable.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello guys! I love very much the AAC because it helps me to solve many questions about electronics (sorry for too much threads). So in this case I would like to send a thread, that I think it is very important, so I felt that is very good way to add this thread, not just for me, but for everyone who would like to learn about this ,very special, but not so easy for beginners, question. As the title says, I would like to learn, how to read the electronic plan, and based on this plan, build the appropriate PCB? I know how to read some very simple circuit plans (for beginners) but I cannot understand the big circuits (like this one that I send in photo). As I said, I felt that is very important for me to add this question because if I will learn to read big electronic plans I will make my own with my own components!! Because the first thing that should to know every electronic is to read circuit plans and their functions depends of their position and connectivity by other components! So if could someone help on this question I would be very happy! Thanks
Big circuits are just a bunch of small circuits connected together. Break it apart piece by piece. Making a PCB? Just connect thing together like the schematic shows. Reference data sheets when required.
It is only as hard as you imagine it to be. :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There's a whole area of study about how we humans use mental shortcuts - called heuristics- to make fast decisions and not get bogged down in analysis all the time. I find it fascinating. It can be exploited if you know people will make predictable mistakes.

PaulEngineer

Joined Dec 21, 2016
I'll just add that, while you can get away with minimal understanding if you're reproducing a simple circuit, you'll likely be frustrated by trying this approach with a larger project such as your subwoofer amp. The best of us will make simple mistakes when we build. There's a good possibility that your amp won't work the first moment you power it on. If you don't understand the circuit, how can you hope to diagnose it? What is the schematic is not "robust" in the first place? There are plenty of schematics online that just came out of someone's head and have never been built.

A complete kit includes a schematic that has been reviewed, a circuit board layout, and a parts list along with a discussion of the basic functions and critical parameters. This all raises the odds of your project working out, but even with all of that there is still a chance it won't. It'd be like building a bicycle without any idea how it works. You might get lucky, but a little knowledge is invaluable.
Do you mean that some circuits in google images doesn't work? Or it is not sure if they work?

PaulEngineer

Joined Dec 21, 2016
Guys I know very well the Ohms law, I know almost the 78% of components such as resistor, diode, led, capacitor (for this I know that it can charge and discharge the voltage (because the capacitor charges with voltage and the inductor with current), use as filter in frequencies (I'm not sure what is the difference between the electroplated capacitor (except the polarity) and the common capacitor (polyester capacitor, paper capacitor, ceramic capacitor etc), the switches, transistors (a little bit! I started to understand the difference between the PNP and NPN, as and their symbols, (but their functions is the same, for example if you will put one transistor NPN to control LED it will work as switch, amplifier! But if you will put in the same circuit the PNP, and change the polarity of the LED, it will have the same result as the NPN with the difference the polarity!), the ICs (74 class=gates), some functions of NE555, the transformer, the difference between AC and DC, using a little bit the oscilloscopes, (now I learning about antennas, inductors) the relationship between the inductor or coil and capacitor (I found that the basic reason that affects the antenna's function is the inductor and capacitor (I have some idea what that means! The inductor makes the frequencies and capacitor used as filter, I think so! Never mind I know almost all the basics