PCB Mapping and Troubleshooting

Joshua Lomax

Joined Mar 21, 2017
I have an old 2WIRE router that I would like to tinker with and try to fix/repurpose. Currently it does not work. I would like to somehow map the PCB in an attempt to troubleshoot and repair it. It has a 13 pin jumper header on it.
Is there a way to connect a computer to this Jumper header, and somehow read how the board is wired?
Or is there another way instead of using a meter to test leads and connections for power to search for a break or burn out part.

Attachments

Is there a way to connect a computer to this Jumper header, and somehow read how the board is wired?
Unfortunately, the connection information is not stored on the board.

Sometimes using a meter can lead you to a break or a burned out part, like a capacitor, resistor or fuse. Sometimes the difficulty is internal to one of the ICs.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yes. But without a schematic how will you know if the measured voltages are correct or not? What meter do you have that gives you useful info about rapidly-pulsed voltages?

Joshua Lomax

Joined Mar 21, 2017
Don't have one yet. When I need something useful, I go out and get one. What would you recommend?

And if i happen to find and use the incorrect voltage and break something on the router, my Pi, or something else else then I break it. I'l find a way to fix it and maybe try again.

Joshua Lomax

Joined Mar 21, 2017
Unfortunately, the connection information is not stored on the board.

Sometimes using a meter can lead you to a break or a burned out part, like a capacitor, resistor or fuse. Sometimes the difficulty is internal to one of the ICs.
I found a spot on the board where it looks like a component broke from the solder. I have been looking online at pic of this PCB and it seem slike there want supposed to be something there, yet I can clearly see spots in the solder where the component would have been attached.

The router and Pi are pretty complicated devices and may be very difficult to troubleshoot. You may get lucky and find a component that has broken. Apart from that, there is no simple path to follow to troubleshoot equipment about which you do not have a great level of detail.

That goes for those with a lot of experience and equipment as well.