pcb making machine for home

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think if "cheap" is your main criterion, you will struggle to beat the commercial services that will make one for you. I understand you might value your time at zero, but when you add up the cost of all the supplies and equipment, cleaning supplies and so forth, you are likely to spend more doing it yourself. If you make multiple boards and actually consume all of your supplies efficiently, your cost may come down but so would that of the commercial service.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Making your own PCB's is a good hobby exercise, but is not worth the trouble.

Boards are typically primitive and poor quality.
Not cost effective.
Process is toxic, messy, time consuming.

A service provider is by far the cheapest way to go, and you get a reliable, professional product in the end.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Having a friend that is in printing, he makes photo positives for me and I use photosensitive circuit boards by exposing them to sunlight. Whether that is cheap? You decide.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Having a friend that is in printing, he makes photo positives for me and I use photosensitive circuit boards by exposing them to sunlight. Whether that is cheap? You decide.
What would I ask for at a printing shop to get a photo positive? I have asked but I think it is a rather old process (photo-stat?). I asked at a local shop and just got strange looks. Do you get simple Xerox copies or real photo-processed film (e.g. Emulsion that must be developed).

Cheers.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I make an over-sized drawing with the alleged copper areas filled in with black marker. He shrinks the image until it measures the correct size and delivers to me a clear plastic sheet with several copies as a lot of black images where the copper is supposed to stay on the circuit board.

I suppose you could use a laser printer to print on a clear plastic sheet, but I never tried that. The quality of the copper traces are immaculate when he shrinks an 8 & 1/2 by 11 page down to one or two square inches.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think if "cheap" is your main criterion, you will struggle to beat the commercial services that will make one for you. I understand you might value your time at zero, but when you add up the cost of all the supplies and equipment, cleaning supplies and so forth, you are likely to spend more doing it yourself. If you make multiple boards and actually consume all of your supplies efficiently, your cost may come down but so would that of the commercial service.
Making your own PCB's is a good hobby exercise, but is not worth the trouble.

Boards are typically primitive and poor quality.
Not cost effective.
Process is toxic, messy, time consuming.

A service provider is by far the cheapest way to go, and you get a reliable, professional product in the end.
I will disagree. The process is both cheap and easy once you get it down (my cost is around $2 / copy not counting the board stock) and beats breadboarding in time by a huge amount. It is completely repeatable by other people, removes a lot of potential errors on established designs, and you can build one if that is all you need. Too each his own.

I get my pcb's made in China at about half the cost of the UK.
I have always had excellent results.
From order to pcb's arriving is around 2 weeks.
Not bad from half way around the world.