PCB Edge Connector

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Hi

I am planning to use the following edge connector 2229.pdf (toby.co.uk) from Semtec.

The aim of using an edge connector is to have a common communication module for all the additional PCBs(sensors and control circuits.).

I prefer to have 1mm pitch so that i an visual inspect the PCB , compared to the fine pitch alternatives.

One issue which could arise is that during transportation or variation on enclosure mounting the PCB might be not be full inserted. These 1mm edge connector does not have similar clips like the SDRAMs on PC does.

Is there any method of fixing the PCB onto PCB the second PCB? Maybe some form of mount?

Or is there 1mm pitch edge connectors with some clipping option?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Perhaps a right angle PCB mount bracket screwed to the daughter card and a corresponding hole on the main board, then a nylon push rivet to attach the two. The rivets are removable, but lock.

1669030523744.png 1669030628346.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am not a big fan of boards stacked at right angles.
I once had to trouble shoot laboratory instruments that had boards aligned at right angles. If the daughter boards are not allowed to float the edge connectors do not make proper contact.

Arduino-style stacking with pin headers are preferred.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am not a big fan of boards stacked at right angles.
I once had to trouble shoot laboratory instruments that had boards aligned at right angles. If the daughter boards are not allowed to float the edge connectors do not make proper contact.

Arduino-style stacking with pin headers are preferred.
There are board to board right angle pin headers that could be used as edge connectors for the vertical arrangement. I was going to suggest them but the TS was specific about PCB edge connectors. If the pins can be tolerated, I do think it is a better option but in both cases, I don't think I would use that on daughter boards of any substantial size without board guides on the case.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Is it possible then to have PCB stack ontop of one another , but with some space so I can use it for additional circuits?

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
There are board to board right angle pin headers that could be used as edge connectors for the vertical arrangement. I was going to suggest them but the TS was specific about PCB edge connectors. If the pins can be tolerated, I do think it is a better option but in both cases, I don't think I would use that on daughter boards of any substantial size without board guides on the case.
Do you have any example images

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Perhaps if you could sketch your vision and scan / take a picture so you can attach it in a post, we can be more specific in our recommendations?

Perhaps you could use female headers with long pins to stack multiple boards. You could add or remove PCBs as you wish. This method is used in the Arduino environment to stack an Arduino with multiple “shields” or add-on boards. This method is what MeChips was referring to. Look at the connectors in this link.
Arduino-style stacking with pin headers are preferred

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Is it possible then to have PCB stack ontop of one another , but with some space so I can use it for additional circuits?
The PC-104 system is old, but very reliable. I am bringing it up as an example of a parallel-stacking system, not as a specific recommendation.

How many pins do you need to connect, and what is the maximum signal bandwidth/frequency?

I've dealt with board-edge connectors since the 60's, and have found them to be very reliable despite some very bad mechanical designs/environments. Note that the industrial computer world disagreed, and two-piece connectors took over in the early 80's. Look into VME connectors, DIN41612 / 60603. Lotsa options for straight and right-angle applications. For higher speed and density, look into compact PCI (cPCI) metric parts.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/din-41612/307?s=N4IgTCBcDaIKYCcB2BLEBdAvkA

ak

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Thanks

Another option came to mind using a Rigid Flex PCB, with standard pin headers. This way i can get my second board to any desired orientation and then use simple pin header connectors.

Has anyone used Rigid Flex PCB, for board to board type configuration?