PCB cutting, a short adventure

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
I was able to cut an FR4 board without much trouble...

I used an acrylic cutter (from Home Depot). It cuts on both push and pull strokes:

Several strokes guided by a steel rule. Then used a hand seamer (from Harbor Freight):

...and snapped it against a scrap board (hand seamer and bench vise next time). All tools I already had...so bonus points!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I tried many methods before settling on a metal shear:
clipimage.jpg

It was around $125 and HF no longer sells them. I'm glad I bought one before they stopped selling them.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have had it with cutting PCBs using a blade ... it's time consuming and even prone to accidents. And I don't like using shears either, they leave too rough a finish at the edges and lose their sharpness quite quickly.

That's why I decided to design my own PCB cutter using a diamond blade and a small 12V motor.

@upand_at_them , if you don't mind, I'm willing to post my project here. But it will be no problem if you'd rather I opened a new thread.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
I use very thin FR-4 boards and usually cut them to shape using scissors from my desk. That is the reason I use very thin FR-4.
Where are you getting those? I get the green boards with the plated-through holes, about 1/16" thick...no way I could cut them with scissors. I see that Harbor Freight has a pair of scissors they claim can cut US pennies...hmm.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Personally a pair of good heavy shears for aluminum work gets me by. They aren't perfect by any means, but will do a good enough job for the small boards I've come up with.

The metal shear / brake that @dl324 mentioned would be nice. Never thought to look up something like that before. I could finally make something nice out of the old PC case skins laying around.

@upand_at_them thanks for sharing! I do think I'll give this a try next time.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I use very thin FR-4 boards and usually cut them to shape using scissors from my desk. That is the reason I use very thin FR-4.
This is blank one-sided PCB material. It is very thin because it is used in the fabrication of multi-layer boards.

For heavy stuff there is always the vise, hacksaw, and file.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The metal shear / brake that @dl324 mentioned would be nice. Never thought to look up something like that before. I could finally make something nice out of the old PC case skins laying around.
The shear I have can only handle stock up to 8" wide. Larger shears cost several hundred dollars and more if you want bending capability.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That's neat, I didn't know they had that.
I use the MicroMark version from years ago when it was reasonably priced. A carbide blade helps. A finer pitched blade makes smaller projectiles to dodge.

I switched to a shear. I still use the table saw to cut grooves, as when doing dead-bug or Manhattan construction.

Edit: If you want one for both purposes, I have no complaint about the result. Just be sure to wear eye protection, which I often forget to do.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Aaaaahhhhh...a Harbor Freight table saw! I had one for a year or two in the early 1980's until the motor developed problems. It gave me many pleasant week-ends before it finally went.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I use a heavy duty paper cutter for the thin FR4 boards (.032") and the Harbor Freight 4 inch table saw for anything thicker.
SG

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I assumed with "brake" in the name it could bend also. Found some stuff on Amazon to save up for
I t looks like the brake is a press brake with the die at the bottom. Those are nice and can give a controlled radius easily with the proper die. If you intend to make boxes and such, you might want to consider a box and pan brake that has different width fingers. With either brake, you can bend two sheets together to get a radius. One sheet is a waste sheet.