Passed the extra class test this morning

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
After being a "ham" for more than 40 years and having held a novice, general, and advanced class license, I decided to try to upgrade to extra and passed the test this morning. The knowledge I have gained from the forum members here was a big help. Thanks AAC.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Congrats, dude!... here's one of my favorite phrases:

"Happiness is a sensation of progress"

You definitely sound happy ... *thumbs up*

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
After being a "ham" for more than 40 years and having held a novice, general, and advanced class license, I decided to try to upgrade to extra and passed the test this morning. The knowledge I have gained from the forum members here was a big help. Thanks AAC.
Welcome the the lower band edge club. Enjoy the spectrum!
KT8TD

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I thought HAMs rolled their own.
When I first got involved back in the 70's, I built some gear, but it's far too complicated now. Of course, it would still be possible to build some "back in the day" stuff, but it would be rather crude by today's standards. I do give some thought to trying some very low power battery-powered gear just for fun.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
When I first got involved back in the 70's, I built some gear, but it's far too complicated now. Of course, it would still be possible to build some "back in the day" stuff, but it would be rather crude by today's standards. I do give some thought to trying some very low power battery-powered gear just for fun.
Congratulations!
At one time I think I was the youngest ham in Colorado. Must have been 1960. I stopped at conditional as to take the general or Extra you had to go to Denver. I built transmitters, but always bought receivers. It was a great hobby that was eventually replaced with girls. :D Ive been thinking I might try it again in my old age. I understand there is no code requirement anymore?
Anyway.. Congrats!
KOIFC.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Congratulations!
At one time I think I was the youngest ham in Colorado. Must have been 1960. I stopped at conditional as to take the general or Extra you had to go to Denver. I built transmitters, but always bought receivers. It was a great hobby that was eventually replaced with girls. :D Ive been thinking I might try it again in my old age. I understand there is no code requirement anymore?
Anyway.. Congrats!
KOIFC.
No code anymore. And testing is now handled by VECs...local hams who administer the test. Should be easy to find close to you.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
After building my first (and only) Xmtr for the 80 & 40 m band, supported by a Scott Rcvr from WWII (BFO used to get SSB), I moved, when $$$ allowed, to an FT901DM.

Some time later I became discouraged because it seemed that everybody was a button pusher unable to enjoy the technical side of it. Good to see then, that you are insisting and getting fun from it. Congratulations!!

Had you been my neighbor things would had been different: around 4 weeks ago, I donated to a friend not only my FT901DM but also a 2m Xcvr and a 2-m handy just for a symbolic 450 USD (that most probably he will never pay and I will not claim either...). Moving to a new home was a good reason to do that.

I like the idea that there is still people enjoying the hobby.

LU2AKB
LU5DQE / MM (oh yes!)

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
AfConter being a "ham" for more than 40 years and having held a novice, general, and advanced class license, I decided to try to upgrade to extra and passed the test this morning. The knowledge I have gained from the forum members here was a big help. Thanks AAC.
Congratulations!
I just got finished helping Gordon West with the latest Extra Class study guide. I realize you probably don't need it now, but you could always buy one for a friend. :)
Eric

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Congratulations!
I just got finished helping Gordon West with the latest Extra Class study guide. I realize you probably don't need it now, but you could always buy one for a friend. :)
Eric
I am glad to have passed before the new question pool goes into effect in July.