Oxygen / Propane controlled volume and spark control

PJP REST

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of assistance to design the controller to preform a similar function to the thread listed below. This would be used as a training aid for LEO, ext. I would like to control with a microprosser as opposed to just relays and I will also be encorporating a 900 mhz transponder and reciver.

I have not picked out any electronics or hardware yet, so I am open to ideas, I am also open to hiring someone to do this (from simple schematic, to full production of the electronics) if anyone has any reccomondations. Currently I need to produce 25 units. Some units will be larger than others, and some will need different feed rates.

Just to clarify, this is not a "gun or projectile launcher" they simply make loud noises and some smoke, to simulate an explosion or mortar rounds. This obviouly is preffered to live fire exercises.

Thread:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/propane-oxygen-gun-simulator-schematic.118860/

Thanks everyone for your help, honestly if it were not for forums like these I would not get too much done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This can get as complex or as simple as you want it. I can fill a trash bag with a mixture of oxygen and acetylene, ignite it and get one heck of a bang or as in the linked thread allow the mixed gas to fill and expansion chamber and electronically ignite it.

The drawing is from the old thread:
Oxy Propane.png

I suggest starting with the regulators on the supply gas are manual regulators OK or do you want automation using electronically adjusted regulators? If your mixture will always be the same I figure manual is fine. Again, you need to define exactly what you want. What would you want the uC to control? Those parameters would need defined. So really making a loud bang or creating an explosion can be as simple or as complex as we choose or need to make it.

Ron

PJP REST

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the input so far everyone, below is a better idea of what we are trying to achive along with a photo of a legacy product that is no longer in production.

I would like to control as much as possible via a cpu of some sort, I feel this would be eaiser to integrate with a remote control. Also there are a few varations of this (size, repeat rate ext) that can be made, and I feel the adjustments would be easier with a cpu as opposed to all manual controls. I have not chosen any components at this point, as I do not want to get hamstrung. Simple, idiotproof and easy to swap components without much knowledge are the 3 main objectives.

SPECS:

-The unit is of all steel constriction from 4160 DOM tubing, 4” pipe attached to a 14x14 base. Controls are mounted in water resistance housing on the side with provisions to mount a remote-control unit on the exterior of the control box.

-Power is provided via an external 12V rechargeable battery that sets on the base plate for easy access and change out.

-Activation is via a manual cable supplied or the remote control

-Simulator is self-contained except for the gas supply and the hoses are provided with quick disconnects fittings.

Simulator used Oxygen and Propane to provide the blast that is controlled by regulators with the unit.

Operation Sequence:

Trigger is pulled via operator or remote control

OXY/ Propane enter via 2 electric solenoid valves (metered for proper ratio)

Coil pack energizes spark plug to ignite mixture

Unit resets until next pull of trigger, unless left depressed, then cycle repeats (rate of fire 1 blast every 3-5 seconds).

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Operation Sequence:

Trigger is pulled via operator or remote control

OXY/ Propane enter via 2 electric solenoid valves (metered for proper ratio)

Coil pack energizes spark plug to ignite mixture

Unit resets until next pull of trigger, unless left depressed, then cycle repeats (rate of fire 1 blast every 3-5 seconds).
Making it remote is actually pretty easy as there is no shortage of key fob operated remote relay boards available. DROK® Wireless Relay Remote Receiver Control Board Self-Lock DC 24V 4-Channel ... is but one example. While I can't quite see much need for a uC (micro-controller) it would be easy enough to include in the design. You could program a PICAXE or an Arduino arrangement to do what you have mentioned. A 4 channel remote relay card could send as many as 4 simple commands to a uC and the uC would do whatever you program it to do. A sort of "IF" This "THEN" do this affair. Pretty much any automotive spark plug and ignition coil would serve as an igniter. A Google of "automotive ignition coil driver circuit" should get a few dozen results.

If you want to go with fixed regulators for your fuel mixture that should work fine. Just preset your oxygen acetylene or oxygen propane mix and set it forget it. Open your solenoids, charge your chamber and hit the ignition. Using a uC I guess you could send a pulse period to charge the chamber then send a fire command. Bang! and repeat....

Ron