overshoot and stability issue

xaxxa

Joined May 13, 2022
Hello, I have designed a two stage op amp with a phase margin of 63° ( with a compensation capacitance) which is sufficient to ensure good stability of the circuit. However, I still have a huge overshoot problem when I use it as a follower. How is it possible if my circuit is stable and how can it be avoided?

Also, when I use it in a summing circuit and apply an AC signal to the input, I get some oscillations in the output signal that I think are related to the overshoot issue.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Your verbal description is not much help in understanding your circuit or your problem. There is literally NO substitute for a schematic drawing complete with proper symbols and component values.

In the meantime, overshoot is characteristic of an underdamped system. In electronics this is controlled by resistance. In mechanics this would be due to a force that depends on velocity. That is a spring-mass system, without friction, will make a harmonic oscillator.

xaxxa

Joined May 13, 2022
Here's the open loop gain and phase of my op amp. My PM is about 55° ( and not 63° my bad)
1654537029585.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That is not the Bode plot of a typical op amp.
Normally an op amp has a very high DC open-loop gain and is compensated with a single-pole rolloff starting at a low frequency, so that it is stable with feedback (see example below).
Note the constant 20dB/decade rolloff, with a constant 90° phase-shift.

1654537823010.png

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
Here's the open loop gain and phase of my op amp. My PM is about 55° ( and not 63° my bad)
Please, be exact. The PM is found from the LOOP GAIN plot. That is the complete loop including opamp and feedback function. Because - for DC - we always need negative feedback, the phase plot for the loop gain must start at -180deg (when the phase inversion at the inverting opamp input node is included).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Here we are 8 posts into this thread, and we still don't have a schematic. What is the part number of this alleged opamp?

xaxxa

Joined May 13, 2022
Here we are 8 posts into this thread, and we still don't have a schematic. What is the part number of this alleged opamp?
I'm sorry I don't have the schematic right now, I only have the result plots but it is a folded cascode op amp with a class AB output stage and I have used a compensation capacitance to achieve a higher PM

xaxxa

Joined May 13, 2022
Please, be exact. The PM is found from the LOOP GAIN plot. That is the complete loop including opamp and feedback function. Because - for DC - we always need negative feedback, the phase plot for the loop gain must start at -180deg (when the phase inversion at the inverting opamp input node is included).
I have only used the open loop plots to ensure good stability. I thought the phase margin is taken from the open loop characteristics. I haven't checked the loop gain but I will thank you.