Overpriced gadgets

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
If you think the ISO process is "natural", then I can absolutely conclude you have not been forced to implement it at an actual working business. Those of us who have actually know what it is.
if you consider it as a guideline, from which you can work out things but don't have to, it can make sense.

If it gets distributed over 3 or more stages of bureaucracy, people not really working and with incompetence and being pedantic + to freak when one unimportant details is not totally literally upto manual, it does damage, and makes things worse than before.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
or you could consider it's backwards and the result is business closing, jobs go away and/or outsourced abroad.

Every good thing can be read in a backward way not literally but by distributing attribution in a specific way.

I don't know if it is a good thing but 600 dollar dinners for people who administer public funds and they did not work for that is not good.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
if you consider it as a guideline, from which you can work out things but don't have to, it can make sense.
As I said, your posts indicate to me you have no experience with it. It is not a process that "makes suggestions that you don't have to follow", it is a straight jacket that eliminates all choice. The process makes no sense to anybody who has had to work under it, rather it is a giant mountain of documentation designed to eliminate the front line workers ability to use common sense to do things at the level where work actually gets done. I worked both in civilian design and on military projects and it is very similar to the stupid rules that are applied to militaery contracts. In the case of mil contracts, we put up with it because the money was great but to self inflict such idiocy onto a commercial system is the height of stupidity.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
As I said, your posts indicate to me you have no experience with it. It is not a process that "makes suggestions that you don't have to follow", it is a straight jacket that eliminates all choice. The process makes no sense to anybody who has had to work under it, rather it is a giant mountain of documentation designed to eliminate the front line workers ability to use common sense to do things at the level where work actually gets done. I worked both in civilian design and on military projects and it is very similar to the stupid rules that are applied to militaery contracts. In the case of mil contracts, we put up with it because the money was great but to self inflict such idiocy onto a commercial system is the height of stupidity.
That is correct I have never been directly confronted with ISO9000.

However, I have some experience with bureaucrats and incompetence. When you see lots of obscure certs on a wall and a shiny slogan "Excellence through People" you can almost certainly deduct it means same Excellence would be absent.

Then people complain over years, the organisation makes things worse, finally it becomes dissolved, a new logo + name appears from nowhere without any election- it would be the same people in the same building under a different name with some new shiny website. The statements found there some day maybe definitively will become implemented or at least this would be desireable. Try to email, you get no reply or it is even undeliverable.

I could pen 30 loathing pages in that lingo easily.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
When I am a CEO or just working in a team, I would carefully consider priorities. And see if any new rule makes sense or temporarily makes sense for that day or can give a helping of any kind.

I'd never rely on a printed scheme designed in some unknown remote office totally disconnected to my subjects.

Priority is to get the things done.

But if I see a statement: Make information available to those who require it- I could check if all required information is available easily and if there is enough documentation. Just on one day- handled.

Then I can say yes I have taken a look the ISO9000 brochure and mostly we are doing well we don't need a new policy so far.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The Japanese have a concept "Don't overdo it"

It could be read in various ways such as: sure you are enjoying that much but whatshowever, don't put too much effort into it.

Like if you play golf and somehow abberating around for hours trying to find the most effective way to swing with that one iron- well try a different one, or just take a break?

It'd normally expected you'd take that guidance discretely. Sometimes when moving through crowded cities you have to consider priorities quickly.

One time in Osaka I nearly spilled some water on the school uniform of someone in a park, I jumped a little and it just hit the ground. It was not much but he noticed it and looked at me for a moment somehow.

Well after a while you either figure out the right swing or not- and if not, again, don't put too much effort into it unless you really wanted to.

ISO9000 for playing golf in Osaka eh? I didn't by the way.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
it is a straight jacket that eliminates all choice. it is a giant mountain of documentation designed to eliminate the front line workers ability to use common sense to do things at the level where work actually gets done.
Did you say, "complete lack of versatility and refusal to listen to anybody"?
I said something like that in post #47. Perhaps the OP missed that post.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I guess the real question here is, why is takao still using SD cards? And, why aren't the devices you have equipped with on-board card readers?

It probably costs $30 in the local store because the poor shop owner bought a box full of then back in 2003 when the great demise of the CDROM started. He was going to make a fortune selling card riders. To his surprise, he and didn't sell a single one until Takao came walking along. After years of holding that inventory, he just broke even this week.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I guess the real question here is, why is takao still using SD cards? And, why aren't the devices you have equipped with on-board card readers?

It probably costs $30 in the local store because the poor shop owner bought a box full of then back in 2003 when the great demise of the CDROM started. He was going to make a fortune selling card riders. To his surprise, he and didn't sell a single one until Takao came walking along. After years of holding that inventory, he just broke even this week.
reply funny but not helpful.

Is not for SD cards. SONY memory cards. My netbook has SD card reader.

No it is not old stock.

What is wrong with SD cards? Most digital cameras use them. Most laptops have SD card reader.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You still havent addressed the issue of the card reader socket. You have tried and complained about multiple sd cards to the nth degree and nary a sylable about the socket.

You did a nice rant on iso 9000 and pricing that illustrated your infinitesimal knowledge of the subject material.

You havent demonstrated, by measuting, the sd cards to see if they were within the generally acceptable specifications of thoe devices.

All you did was rant and provided the membership some entertainment.

Thanks for that.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Those problems cant exist with memory cards?

My camera and computer uses sd cards.

As those cards become scarce, the price increases.

You cant get a ford model t for 500 bucks these days.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
As a member of generation Y, I would imagine a memory stick to be another name for USB flash drive. Funny how terms stick around, and become muddled with new tech.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I never know what to call a USB stick; most often, I call it a jump drive.

Memory sticks are still in use by owners of older Sony cameras and computers. Finding card readers for them is very easy; here's the first think that popped up on e-bay from a search for "card reader."

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I wouldn't expect the op to pay an outrageous price they are asking for tha device.I have a couple of the memory sticks the op is railing against.. never had a problem with them....in either the sony camera or the computer.

I still call the usb drives thumbdrives.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
its a 2gb ms pro duo + 10 mpx camera.

quality is very good for macro.

I was wondering the same card reader costs $1 online and $30 in a shop, and also it does not work right.

Ordered some drives online but a differennt making.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK here some updates.

I saw the same reader in a new local discount shop aka dollar store/pound shop.

today I cracked it open- easily with my fingers.

What's puzzling me is this:

-I was able to twist off the soldered card slots easily with very little force.
-The plastic very brittle broke very easily into pieces.
-What's most weird- the contact springs just tinned, no gold plating.

Total crap.

The new card reader...well guess what- mislaid it (but I have two more in reserve hehe). Bad thing is, I need to remove my USB modem each time.

To top it off, the crappy reader USB device malfunctioned, and then reinserted, tried to install driver, then said "not successfully installed".

Got access to the card for the last time, then did not even work anymore when pushing the card.

I really bought a lot of card readers.

Why can't there just be a single one:

-never mislaid
-never malfunctioning

OK my netbook has SD built in but now need SONY MS PRO DUO.

It's a pain.

Some older readers don't work correctly anymore, at least I got a SD slot for my project.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General Electronics Chat 10
A General Electronics Chat 3