Overhead Crane

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtomrai

Joined Apr 8, 2019
I have an overhead crane rail/bridge system, with 4 crane rails, 3 bridges, and 2 hoists. This afternoon, one of the crane rails decided to stop working at correct speed in the north travel, only. The south travel runs at full speed. All 3 other crane rails run perfectly north/south as well.
I am thinking it could be a plc issue, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

We'd need a lot more information to be able to help. Do you have drawings of the controller?

I have concerns about safety, this is a potentially dangerous thing to modify or attempt to repair.

In any case, we'd need schematics and part numbers, and quite possibly photographs.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have an overhead crane rail/bridge system, with 4 crane rails, 3 bridges, and 2 hoists. This afternoon, one of the crane rails decided to stop working at correct speed in the north travel, only. The south travel runs at full speed. All 3 other crane rails run perfectly north/south as well.
I am thinking it could be a plc issue, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Tom
Call the crane man. How much would an injured/killed worker be worth to your company compared to a DIY'er who has no idea what happened?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have worked on a few overhead gantry cranes, it depends on how old the design is and what type of speed control, from wound rotor AC induction motor to modern AC motor with VFD.
I assume you have the schematics?
As already said, quite a bit more info needed.
Also many that are radio control from a ground operator.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have worked on a few overhead gantry cranes, it depends on how old the design is and what type of speed control, from wound rotor AC induction motor to modern AC motor with VFD.
I assume you have the schematics?
As already said, quite a bit more info needed.
Also many that are radio control from a ground operator.
Max.

It wold be completely inappropriate to troubleshoot via the forum anyway. TS needs to have a qualified tech on site to repair the issue. One wrong mistake and someone could end up being hurt or worse killed. This thread needs to be locked.

I just wonder if the TS would try to perform surgery via the internet?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have serviced an overhead crane and of course there are a few things that can more often go wrong. BUt in this case the very best choice is to clearly identify each of the failure modes and then switch off the power to that crane and contact a service person who understands what they are doing. You will need to be able to clearly describe which functions have the problems, and what those problems are.
BUT there is an exception, which is that if the cranes are part of a model train layout and use low voltage for the motors and controls. In that case we can possibly help. Those projects can be very interesting and certainly challenging but usually totally safe.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
There are some things we just can't do over the net. Like airplane maintenance. Or an appendectomy on your son or daughter.

Other than that......we do it all.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Repairing this will require a skilled, trained and experienced crane service technician. Best I can do with this thread is get somebody killed. And that would not only ruin my day it would also ruin theirs as well. My advice: Refer to qualified service personnel.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Please hire a professional to have the equipment fixed.

The User Agreement has this statement:

1. Appropriate conduct. Debates should be a civil activity and can be both enlightening and entertaining, but always keep discussion to the facts and the opinions. Ad hominem tactics and directed abuse are always "off-topic".

Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post. Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.