Outlet Types

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I Live in the USA and I was on YouTube Looking for all the Different Outlet Types.

I just Find how to Install 120 Volt Outlets and Outlets with USB Ports on them.

I just wanted a Video that wouls Show You all the Different Outlet Types.
Like 3. Prong Outlets and 2. Prong Outlets and so on.

Can anybody help?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I Live in the USA and I was on YouTube Looking for all the Different Outlet Types.

I just Find how to Install 120 Volt Outlets and Outlets with USB Ports on them.

I just wanted a Video that wouls Show You all the Different Outlet Types.
Like 3. Prong Outlets and 2. Prong Outlets and so on.

Can anybody help?
Google doesn't work?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello,

In the USA they seem to use the NEMA connections.
In Europe they seem to use the IEC connections.
View attachment 262475

Bertus
All of the IEC connectors pictured are used in the US on devices. C5/6 is found on computer power supplies, C7/8 are also on power supplies as well as small appliances, C13/14 are on computer power supplies and monitors C15/16/19/20 are variously higher current connectors on things like rack power distribution.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
All of the IEC connectors pictured are used in the US on devices. C5/6 is found on computer power supplies, C7/8 are also on power supplies as well as small appliances, C13/14 are on computer power supplies and monitors C15/16/19/20 are variously higher current connectors on things like rack power distribution.
No, USA uses NEMA for wall plugs and an odd-numbered IEC connector on the other end of the cord to the appliance.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The question is rather vague about what the TS actually is seeking to know.
For normal residential installations there are two basic types of 120 volt mains outlets, 15 amp rated and 20 amp rated. There are quite a few style variations within each type. Also there are GFCI equipped outlets, also in both 15 and 20 amp ratings. These are primarily 3-conductor types, with the extra ground pin provision.

So now really, what does the TS actually desire to know? These are the types that will probably pass an inspection for mains power connections. Other types are not generally accepted for residential applications.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
There are so many Types of Outlets.
Standard Outlets Outlets that after You Plug something in the Outlet will Rotate to Lock the Plug in.

They have Outlets with 4. Prongs some has 3. Prongs but one of the Prongs is an "L" Shape.

But I did Find the Video on YouTube.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are so many Types of Outlets.
Standard Outlets Outlets that after You Plug something in the Outlet will Rotate to Lock the Plug in.

They have Outlets with 4. Prongs some has 3. Prongs but one of the Prongs is an "L" Shape.

But I did Find the Video on YouTube.
There are higher powered outlets and there are locking outlets and there are tamper-proof outlets, but those are not nearly as common.
The outlets with USB CHARGING ports are a special style that has a USB charger built into the outlet body.
They do not provide any USB connectivity, they are ONLY chargers.
Installing them is ike installing any outlet, EXCEPT that they will not fit many of the smaller electrical boxes found in a lot of slightly older construction.
The installation process is the same: Black wire to the "line" terminal and white wire to the neutral terminal, and the bare wire to the green screw terminal. That is best done with the mains power to that circuit switched off.

I do not recommend installing such because when the charger fails it will be much more expensive to replace, as well as much more labor.