outboard power pack repair (or building a new one from scratch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi_tsk

Joined Jun 27, 2011
hey guys! im looking onto either rebuilding the powerpacks for my outboard motor or starting anew
its my understanding that they are a basic switch box that converts an ac current into two seperate dc current power sources for two seperate coils and in the process of conversion the voltage is ramped up from about 200VAC from the stator to about 500VDC out of the pack and into the coils
i have a theory of operation from my OMC service manual and i was hoping that maybe you guys could help me fill in the blanks and perhaps help me draw up a diagram

these things fail regularly and are fairly expensive (80-100 bux each) and i was just curious as to whether or not they can be repaired and if possible in a manner where the circuitry is less likely to go out

also please note im no electronics engineer and only have a basic knowlege of circuits and components and how they work so dumb it down a little for me
thanks
-levi

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Levi tsk,
Welcome to All About Circuits!

First off, I will not be the guy to dumb-it-down for you as I would have to learn it up first, but I will say that there are many here that do know quite a lot and could do just that for you. What I can offer is a note of caution about any topic that concerns High Voltage. The guys do enjoy offering some very unique ideas, but they are very cautious about advising or offering too much advice about circuits or designs that could be potentially dangerous to the member.

With that said, lets see what the "more capable" have to say!

levi_tsk

Joined Jun 27, 2011
would it help if i posted up pics f the theroy of operation or?

i also have a blown one im in the process of dismantling, its surrounded by a green rubbery plastic to keep everything water tight, ive got the back of the circuit board exposed would a pic of that help too?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Theory of operation and photos of your board would be a big help.

Since the board is blown anyway, you might try boiling the board in water; might make the plastic soften up so that it'll be easier to remove.

levi_tsk

Joined Jun 27, 2011
thats a good idea ill try boiling it and post pics tomorrow - i got most of the plastic stuff off but its to the point where if i go digging at it with a knife im gonna mess up the internals as i cant see where everything is and the stuff is the consistancy of hot glue ...

Is this post still active? I have some ideas for you Levi-tsk, but not sure if you are still in the process of this as it is over a year old. I have a similar situation and am in the process of building a power pack. Seems fairly simple, the main components being the large power capacitors and scr's. Mine is two cylinders, one firing on the positive pulse and the other the negative from the sensor. Thanks debe, very useful stuff!

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Aluminum magnet. Usualy the original can be repaired, the most common failure is the SCR, worth checking first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.