Our Water Supply

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U guys have water in ur house right. I mean some company supplies fresh water for a fee.

Here too we have the same thing. But Here the water comes form the ocean.
It's desalinated and distributed.

One thing has been bugging me for some time now.
See the pics.

Notice anything...see the pink coloring. It feels like smooth or slippery, when u touch it, and it can be scraped off. Once scraped, the last picture is the result.

U see this stuff builds up if I have the water collected for around two or three days. The bucket and the jug shows these pink stuff if left for a few days...

I like to know just what the heck is that.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hey R!f@@, that's the oil and surfactants from the Gulf of Mexico finally making its way over to the Indian Ocean! We live on the same planet, you know.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
looks like possible just staining? May be a bacteria or mold like thing that doesn't get you sick? Possible chemicals used in desal are reacting with what your using the stuff for. Waters funny. Where I live were known for clean clean good water. When I travel around the country I'm stunned at the water quality someplaces. Sometimes its like soapy water and all slimy, they said it was just hardwater but I've never seen anything like it. Then in other places the tap water has a taste which is weird.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The only way to know for sure is to get it analyzed. Barring that, at least look at it under a microscope to determine if it's bacterial or not (of course, this requires access to a decent microscope).

I dislike the city water of any city I've lived in because they typically put too much chlorine in it for my tastes. I love the water in my house because we're on a well. In fact, my mother-in-law for many years came to our house to fill up jugs of water to take to her house because she didn't like the city water. Over the last 30 years the city grew big and surrounded us, so now we're in the city. They won't let people put wells in anymore.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
We too had wells.
As the population grew the water got salty and yucky u know. So now we got no choice but to use the supplied water

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In the US water is a public utility. No company would build water and sewer systems 'on spec' to see if people could or would buy. What a quaint notion.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Pink and slimy sounds like bacterial or algae growth (since you live somewhere quite hot).

Try putting some water in a cold fridge and another lot left out, for a few days, and if the hot one is more slimy than the cold one you will know it is a growth of some kind. You could also boil the first lot before putting in the fridge, to kill any nasties in that lot.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sadly ...we drink it. That is why I am so concerned.

The stuff does not develop if it is air tight I believe or in fridge. I say this cause I never seen this stuff built up in bottled water. Neither if it is in the freezer.

Like you guys said it could be the hot weather or Air.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
It appears that your location is far from Paradise...
In fact, we are all far from there in this fallen world...

I have seen the red scum that you describe and have wondered what was going on.

Check out this link: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatomandslimemicroalgae/a/redslimealgae.htm

Drinking water is a big issue these days as most municipal water is now fluoridated with toxic industrial waste cocktail imported from China--now that is starting to change as the public is waking--then there is the problem of pharmaceuticals getting into the water supply as communities upstream discharge their waste into the same rivers that often provide our water supplies--then there is the issue of the groundwater getting polluted via gas well fracking (see the mind-blowing documentary "GASLANDS") --bottled water is not all that great either as plastic bottles contain cancer causing BPA--ever taste a swig of bottled water from a half-full bottle that has been sitting around for only a few hours or so? yuck!

Since my municipal water comes from a fresh water reservoir, and is not fluoridated, all I have to do is to filter via a Brita charcoal filter to remove the chlorine. To remove fluoride you need a zeolite filter--the very best is reverse osmosis that makes really great tasting water.

For the best health info, I recommend http://www.naturalnews.com/index.html

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If it is microorganisms, then I assume they will grow slower in the fridge. Do the following experiment.

Fill an open jar with tap water. Let that outside the fridge.
Fill a bottle with tap water and close its lid. Let that outside the fridge.
Fill an open jar with tap water. Put it inside the fridge.

If all three containers have red slime as soon as they are filled, then it's probably residue straight from the pipes.
They are all clear at the beginning then it must be something on your environment.
If the jar in the fridge doesn't develop red slime, then it's probably microorganisms.
If the closed bottle doesn't develop as much slime as the open jar, then it's another indication that your environment has something to do with it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Luv u guys for being so concerned....

As for paradise...it is merely a title given to resorts long time ago. So I like to go with it...it's never paradise on earth u know.

Lemme get back on after a few tests.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If it is microorganisms, then I assume they will grow slower in the fridge. Do the following experiment.
I would think that the water is chlorinated so that would kill off any bugs. Then again seawater already has chlorine but I don't know to what extent.

But I think that R!f@@ can tell you that seawater was more than it's share. The bio-luminescence is really cool.

And if you let seawater stand for a while it sure does stink.

I was never a big fan of desalinated water. It still tastes salty. My guess it is saline residue. Try licking it. Does it taste salty?

The other thing it could be a a chemical used in the desalination process. But I don't know what they would add.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Modern reverse osmosis filters will not leave any salt. It is a large part how you make DI water. Having said that, a DI filtration station usually has a UV light section to kill organisms, along with the prefilter using activated charcoal and other materials.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is also possible you were using a unit that was way past its expiration date. Nowdays lifeboats have portable osmosis filters as part of their emergency package. I can't testify how well they work, but people on TV swore the water from them out of the ocean tasted OK.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This was a public water supply in the Caribbean. Actually a couple of different islands. But they aren't exactly known for their maintenance on things, so who knows. Water always tasked salty in some places. Never really satisfying.

Which also makes me wonder why they burn diesel fuel to produce electricity when they are surrounded by an ocean of waves and a sky full of wind and sun.