Other communities/forums like this one?

Jimmybob

Joined Jan 4, 2012
Hey all! I'm just getting into all this and trying to soak up as much as I can, as quickly as I can. So I'm just wondering -- what other communities or forums or blogs or what-have-you do you follow with regards to embedded systems/development? :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, there are others, but from what I've heard on here, they aren't friendly to "n00bs", almost hostile in fact. Unless you are published.

It may not be that bad, but I like it here, most all info people need is here, and I like helping out people new to tinkering/electronics (and converting them to PIC programming..)

Jimmybob

Joined Jan 4, 2012
Wooooowwwwowwwwwow!!:eek::D
Very impressive Bertus...

I also had a feeling like Ernie that this thread wouldn't go well but people are kind here...
LOL! Thanks everyone, and thank you Bertus especially for going above and beyond. It'll take me all day just to check these out. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, there are others, but from what I've heard on here, they aren't friendly to "n00bs", almost hostile in fact. Unless you are published.

It may not be that bad, but I like it here, most all info people need is here, and I like helping out people new to tinkering/electronics (and converting them to PIC programming..)
Does it concern you that the participation in the embeedded forum is a bit limited? We have a few wonderfully helpful people (including you, Ernie and a few others) but you have to admit we could use several more active experienced participants.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Jimmybob: I was joking with you as it seemed a little off to me that your very first question here is if there is another place to ask questions.

What, you already don't like our answers and you haven't yet asked a question? :confused:

I hope I did not offend and am pleased to see you get some good responses. I only use a very few other forums, mostly the ones supported by Microchip for the PIC processors.

And welcome to the Forums!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I haven't asked any uC relate question in AAC yet, but as I have browed this par of the forum, I have the impression that we have few, yet VERY experienced members on microcontrolllers.

Now, don't you guys disappoint me when BillO sends me his kit!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I haven't asked any uC relate question in AAC yet, but as I have browed this par of the forum, I have the impression that we have few, yet VERY experienced members on microcontrolllers.

Now, don't you guys disappoint me when BillO sends me his kit!
Yep I have to agree. They may be few but they are certainly mighty!

But I guess I am greedy I'd like to see a whole boat load of those folks! :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Does it concern you that the participation in the embeedded forum is a bit limited? We have a few wonderfully helpful people (including you, Ernie and a few others) but you have to admit we could use several more active experienced participants.
Yes, the traffic is slow. I think if we put up some PICAxe and Arduino projects, as well as our PIC stuff, we'd get a lot of members, we could help port between platforms,etc. We just don't have that content right now to attract people through Google, so we need to come up with the content. I'm waiting on the mysterious thing BillO is doing, maybe I'll do more PICAxe stuff with my kid, so it can be posted.

To be honest, I'd hate to be overrun with tons of arduino questions from people who don't want anything to do with a soldering iron or something that doesn't come as a "plug n play shield".