Oscilloscope Advice Please

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have the opportunity to get an oscilloscope. As this is my first I an not sure I am getting the right thing.

below are the details. I have read some mixed reviews which I will bring up with the supplier. I however want to know if this is a suitable oscilloscope for someone never having used one and if any limitations what are they.

Specifications
Hantek PC Based USB Digital Oscilloscope 6022BE
1). Cost-effectiveness, 20MHz bandwidth 2CH scope,
2).48MSa/s sample rate
Hantek PC Based USB Digital Storage Oscilloscope 6022BE with 20Mhz Bandwidth
Features:
  • USBXITM standard interface, convenient insert USBXITM case, the combination of instruments
  • USB2.0 port work with pc.
  • More suitable for notebook computer, production line maintenance adjustment, easy to use on a business trip.
  • Small size (mm):200(L)x100(W)x35(H)
Technical Index:
Channel
bandwidth
20MHz
Single bandwidth
DC to 20MHz
real-time sampling rate-Max
48MS/s
Storage depth
1M
vertical resolution
8Bit
impedance
1MΩ 25pF
Coupling
DC
Voltage range
20mV-5V, 8Steps
Vertical Accuracy
±3%
range
1ns-5000s, 39 Steps
The vertical position can be adjusted
yes
Input protection
Diode
X-Y
yes
Horizontal
automatic, standard, single
trigger slope
+/-
Trigger level can be adjusted
yes
TRIGGER SOURCE
CH1, CH2,
Pre-trigger
0-100%
Sampling rate choice
yes
Fai line shows
HP/line, brightness to adjust.
network
On/off
Cursor measurement
yes
arithmetic
Fast Fourier transform, reverse, add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Cursor shows
Frequency and voltage
Accesories
S/W CD, probes, manual, USB cord
Software support: Windows 7, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP ,VISTA

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
PC based USB 'scopes are handy for general purpose and portability, the one shown seems as if it is a 8 channel, unless i found the wrong one?
If you don' t really need this many, look at the Syscomp.
Max.
(I see it is the 2ch in your OP)

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I wouldn't waste money on that style of scope .. I would look into buying a used analog scope or buy a new digital scope..

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
If you go for a PC based USB scope then definately use it on a laptop as advised.

I had one of the USB Hanteks, can't remember the model, but I found it great as a general purpose scope and particularly suited to audio frequencies. I made the mistake of using it on my desktop PC which was a mistake because the zero volt rail is connected to mains earth and I connected the scope probe ground to a high current (100A) 12V rail and the scope fizzed and smoked.

I now use a Fluke Scopemeter via a USB optical link. Far safer!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I own two hanteks, and I'm quite pleased with them, considering their price-to-performance ratio... although I know that most veterans in this forum will disagree with me...
But you didn't mention the key to all the specs you gave, and I mean the "P" word... How much are you getting it for?
I bet you even the hardiest analog scope fanatics in this forum might like to have one of those... if the price is right...

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I own two hanteks, and I'm quite pleased with them, considering their price-to-performance ratio... although I know that most veterans in this forum will disagree with me...
But you didn't mention the key to all the specs you gave, and I mean the "P" word... How much are you getting it for?
I bet you even the hardiest analog scope fanatics in this forum might like to have one of those... if the price is right...
The cost of the scope is US$60.00 Then US$11 Bank charges US$45.00 DHL and US$120.00 duty and Zimbabwe customs and clearing

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The cost of the scope is US$60.00 Then US$11 Bank charges US$45.00 DHL and US$120.00 duty and Zimbabwe customs and clearing
$60 dlls is fine for the scope... but considering how much it costs to get it where you are, I'd seriously consider getting a better one. That kind of scope brand new should cost a little more than $70 dlls. If the total amount adds up to $236.00 dlls, perhaps if you were to spend a total of $300 dlls you will end up with a much better one. I suggest you check some more on Amazon and other suppliers.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Amazon wont deliver to Zimbabwe sadly. and the more the equipment costs the various duties etc. rise accordingly

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Amazon wont deliver to Zimbabwe sadly. and the more the equipment costs the various duties etc. rise accordingly
That's sad indeed... I remember a time in Mexico, back in the 60's and 70's when you couldn't get anything imported, and locally made electric and electronic products were lousy and expensive... it was very frustrating...
Would having the scope sent to South Africa to an acquaintance of yours be a possibility? Maybe he or she could send it to you, or later deliver it when he or she has the chance....

spark8217

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Buy a digital scope or a used analogue with 100 MHz bandwidth with at least two channels or more if possible .you will only replace it with a better model at a later date ! ...

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I look at all the amazing things on Amazon and eBay and as soon as it gets to freight and duty into Zimbabwe Things become so bogged down in bureaucratic red tape they wont even ship to us.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I look at all the amazing things on Amazon and eBay and as soon as it gets to freight and duty into Zimbabwe Things become so bogged down in bureaucratic red tape they wont even ship to us.
It must be very frustrating for you... have you considered shipping it to South Africa like I suggested?

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Yes I get all or at least 90% of my components from South Africa. I will look into it and see if Amazon and ebay would work there then onto Zimbabwe