Organic electronics: Next big change in electronic engineering?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think it is exciting. Oddly enough, I was in graduate school in the 1960's when Dwaine Cowan and others were doing some of the early work on organic conductors. I read an article once where a visionary suggested a newspaper might be possible made of organic semiconductors that would update while you read it, sort of like a very thin LCD monitor. John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think organic electronics are a winner for two reason:

1) Cost. The ultimate driving metric for any technology - if it isn't cost effective, it isn't going to happen.

2) Environmental benefits. The world is become more environmentally savvy and given that organic polymers are present in general waste items (bin bags for instance) then the potential for "killing two birds with one stone" are massive. Add to that the potential for environmental tax breaks etc.

The powers that be will be interested in organic electronics for the above two reasons.

Add to that, that big industry player like Philips are doing a lot of research into organic electronics. A very interesting field.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the things I'm hoping for is the ability to lay the organic dyes with an ink jet printer. Probably a forlorn hope, as they are extremely hydroscopic (which means they'll suck moisture right out of the air) and ruins their properties. It would be nice to print out an electronic circuit and use it straight up though.