Oregon International Air Show

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Always love a good air show. Here in Cleveland it's always the three day Labor Day weekend and the main attraction is The Navy Blue Angels or The Air Force Thunderbirds. They rotate year after year.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd like to go to another one, but they seem to be scheduling the Washington County (Oregon) air show the same weekend as the County Fair. The venues are across the street from each other, so traffic and parking are a mess.

The first one I went to had an F-117 making a simulated bombing pass over the runway. I was looking at a tank with my son on the other side of the airport, but I felt the heat from the simulated blast.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The first one I went to had an F-117 making a simulated bombing pass over the runway. I was looking at a tank with my son on the other side of the airport, but I felt the heat from the simulated blast.
They do similar here using an A 10 Warthog and a bunch of explosions of something along the lines of 55 gallon drums of gasoline set off with dynamite charger in a succession. With just the air show running the traffic is a nightmare.

They do the show at Burke Lakefront Airport which sits right on Lake Erie which is nice but when it's a Thunderbirds year the aircraft take off and land at Cleveland Hopkins, the main airport. During the 80s when they did the flyout after the last show the lead aircraft took multiple bird strikes loss of aircraft and killing their lead pilot. Ever since that show the Airforce Thinderbirds will not fly in or out of that airport. The large commercial airport is only about 10 miles inland. The Blue Angels continue to fly in and out on the lakefront.

I am a sucker for the air shows, I really enjoy them. I go knowing that after the show getting out in the traffic is a nightmare.

Ron