Opening a garage door with a phone call

josept

Joined Sep 12, 2022
hi guys and girls
so im having a project to opening a garage door with a phone call why the phone call because i dont have wifi in the propety .
im from portugal , and my idea is to have a board that carries a phone card with x number (this board should work as a relay) so when i call the x number the relay closes a circuit and opens the garage door .
i will apreciate your guys help thanks a lot in advance

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Will it be from a standard landline in the house?

If so, one way would be an answering machine along with a DTMF relay decoder board connected to the line (example).
You call your home phone and when the answering machine picks up, you can input the DTMF code from your cell phone to close the relay and open the garage door.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
He wants to build, essentially, what is a trigger device like the kind used in IEDs. Call the phone and the ringing triggers the door.
The obvious problem with that is, junk calls will trigger the device. :eek:

So it needs to be something that requires some sort of coded signal before it will operate.

A remote car start system that can be operated from a smart phone would be another option.

josept

Joined Sep 12, 2022
so the best securyti i can think is if the device recives a call from determined phone number oppens if not stays close
is any semple device i can build ? i dont like pre made sollucions :D

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
a trigger device like the kind used in IEDs. Call the phone and the ringing triggers the door.
Which brings up a serious problem with that technique, which is often shown in TV shows and movies.
Would you want to be the one connecting the phone to the IED when the phone may receive a random junk call at any time?
Seems like that could lead to a shortage of bomb assemblers. :rolleyes:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So how about a cheap burner phone with a circuit connected to detect the ringing sound (or a microphone), but you have to hang up and call the number again in rapid succession (say within 5-10 seconds) to trigger the IED (I mean garage door).

josept

Joined Sep 12, 2022
iknow is kinda weird but is my only opcion no wifi to use shelly or similar bluethoo is hard do do because of lack of distance .... i have to try some things .. thaks for the help

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
iknow is kinda weird but is my only opcion no wifi to use shelly or similar bluethoo is hard do do because of lack of distance .... i have to try some things .. thaks for the help
You can use Cellular IoT, as I said earlier. You could even just get a cellular hotspot and dedicate it to the application. It wouldn't need much data, and you could use a Shelly switch, or any of the other WiFi options. Just keep the device relatively quiet so you don't burn data unnecessarily.

josept

Joined Sep 12, 2022
You can use Cellular IoT, as I said earlier. You could even just get a cellular hotspot and dedicate it to the application. It wouldn't need much data, and you could use a Shelly switch, or any of the other WiFi options. Just keep the device relatively quiet so you don't burn data unnecessarily.
is a opcion on the table but not me prefered one

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Controlling home devices remotely using a phone is a very old - dating back to the late 70's when DTMF signalling became common.
You dialled the home number, a modem like device detected the rings and came on line. You punched in an authentication code (to confirm that you are the legal party), then a series of 4 digit numbers to "instruct" the device to switch ON / OFF certain devices.
I clearly remember that such devices were commercially sold.