Op-amp voltage buffer (NE5532P)

YoGMan

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Hello guys , I'm designing a 3-bit digital to analog converter using an R2R ladder .The problem is when I'm using the op-amp as a buffer, the input signal and output signal are not same . I'm using 5 V for both the ladder and the op-amp. What may be the problem Untitled.png Untitled.png ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you post the complete schematic, including the supply voltages?
Is the supply a single 5 Volts?
The specs of the opamp say a minimum voltage of ± 3 Volts dual supply or 6 Volts single supply.
The opamp has an offset of about 4 mV max.
There is no scale on your graph.

Bertus

YoGMan

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Hello,

The specs of the opamp say a minimum voltage of ± 3 Volts dual supply or 6 Volts single supply.

Bertus
Here is the schematic and graph:this is from serial plotter in arduino IDE . 0-1023 is 0-5 V12.jpg 12.jpg

Attachments

YoGMan

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Hello,

Bertus
I programmed the Arduino to input the following 000,001,010,011,.......,111,000,.... the red dots on my graph is the voltage for each binary number. The peak is not 111 , the next dot below is 111 and i don't know why the op-amp outputs a lower voltage .I tried other op-amps of same type and also used a 9 V battery for the op-amp .Again the input and output voltage are not same.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you want to work on +5 volts only, you will need to choose an other opamp with rail-to-rail capabilities.

NE5532_features_comments.png

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You are introducing failures in the graph, by using 4k7 resistors in stead of real 5K resistors (wich can be made with 2 10K resistors in parallel).

Bertus

YoGMan

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Hello,

You are introducing failures in the graph, by using 4k7 resistors in stead of real 5K resistors (wich can be made with 2 10K resistors in parallel).

Bertus
For the resistors I tried with 1M and 2M with same results. I will try to use the LM358 op-amp. I also used 9V battery for the NE5532 . see the picture below.2017-09-20_191202.png

YoGMan

Joined Sep 20, 2017
I tested the op-amp again and it is buffering correctly above 1.5 V , if Vin < +1.5 V it goes fully crazy and V out becomes +Vcc. Thanks for all your quick replies and I hope using a rail to rail will be able to buffer 0-5 V correctly. I'm taking longer to test other op-amps because of the availability of components in my country :(