OP-AMP project DIY for class - electronic cigarette application?

TeslaChicken

Joined Mar 30, 2016
Hello all,

I am currently in an electric circuits analysis class - we just started learning how to solve for voltage and current in basic circuits that implement operational amplifiers, so I'm at a basic level of knowledge about op-amps. We were tasked with a mini-project for the end of the semester to create something simple using an op-amp. First thing that popped to mind was using an op-amp to drive a mosfet for an unregulated electronic cigarette device (box mod). I have built a simple mod using just a MOSFET so that I could use an firing switch I want without worrying about the particular switch's amp limits, with the MOSFET's source connected directly to the battery's negative terminal and then to the gate with a 15k resistor in between. My question to the forum is; would it be possible to use an op-amp to drive a MOSFET instead of the batteries driving it directly? Could I possibly use one to drive an LED voltmeter to see voltage in real time while using the device?

Cheers
Alex C.

TeslaChicken

Joined Mar 30, 2016
You can use an op-amp for either of those applications but it may be difficult to justify.
Yes I was thinking of a way to justify it - I know the circuit would work without an OPAMP by just having the battery's negative going to the MOSFET or the OPAMP to power an LED voltmeter. By adding it, would just be complicating the circuit...