OP AMP powering circuit

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Dear All,

Sorry for my elementary question. In the circuit below

upload_2017-6-12_9-27-20.png

The capacitors are used as charge pumps? Meaning that when there is a voltage fluctuation from the batteries to soften it?

Thanks a lot for your support.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Batteries aren't famous for voltage fluctuation, in fact, I have seen them used as a voltage reference in a precision meter!
Your capacitors are there to provide current to the amplifier faster than a battery can change its chemical to energy conversion process.

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Thank you dendad and #12.

But filtering what? Any externally induced current to the circuit form the mains for exapmle?

Also #12, then it looks like that act as current softening devices

thanks again

The circuit is not a very good virtual ground. Only minimal current can be drawn from it. usually an OP-amp would buffer the 1/2 voltage and provide a Low Z point. You can buy Virtual ground IC's that do just that,

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Thanks KeepIt, I have tested it and is what you are saying. For seriously powering an op amp you need what you are saying. I was just wondering for the capacitors

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thank you dendad and #12.

But filtering what? Any externally induced current to the circuit form the mains for exapmle?

Also #12, then it looks like that act as current softening devices

thanks again
They're there as buffers that help compensate for variations in voltage (by delivering the necessary current to a limited extent) due to sudden current demand from the rest of the circuit itself. That is, from the circuit that you intend to connect to the arrangement shown in your first post.

Last edited:

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Thanks cmartinez,

so they do not filter any externally induced noise, as the ferrite beans we see in such places i.e. at the dc output wires of an AC DC power supply

Thank you all for your time and effort answering my questions. I haven't helped others, as I have been helped.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks cmartinez,

so they do not filter any externally induced noise, as the ferrite beans we see in such places i.e. at the dc output wires of an AC DC power supply

Thank you all for your time and effort answering my questions. I haven't helped others, as I have been helped.
They're called "beads" ... not "beans" :D

And they work both as dampers and filters... blocking undesired frequencies from the rest of the circuit.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
English is not my mother language,
That's OK. It's just that sometimes a single letter out of place changes the meaning. Other times it is easily recognized as a, "typographical error", a fumble on the keyboard, a misspelling. In this case, a bean is not a bead because a bean has no hole in the middle.:D

There are probably a dozen misspellings that would be recognized as exactly that, a misspelling. In this case it seemed important to point out the fact that the meaning was changed in a bad way, just to be sure you were not suffering from bad information.;)

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Beyond these I believe we can communicate excellent and answer questions and solve problems. This is the importance of this forum

thanks again