OP Amp Power requirements

Dean Rantala

Joined Sep 27, 2018
A quick question regarding OP amp power supplies.

Take for example - my NE5532's.. Datasheet says +/- 22 volts. What I am trying to understand is...

Does this mean max voltage difference BETWEEN the + and - inputs is 22 volts?
-or-
Does this mean I can have a -22 volts AND +22 volts (relative to ground) for a potential (between +/-) of 44 volts?

I have always been confused by this..

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
+/- 22 is the absolute max power supply can be on the
power pins.

+ and -, non inverting and inverting inputs, the allowed CM range here in datasheet.
Note its for +/- 15V supplies.

upload_2018-12-13_13-0-36.png

Regards, Dana.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Take for example - my NE5532's.. Datasheet says +/- 22 volts. What I am trying to understand is...

Does this mean max voltage difference BETWEEN the + and - inputs is 22 volts?
No.

-or-
Does this mean I can have a -22 volts AND +22 volts (relative to ground) for a potential (between +/-) of 44 volts?
Yes.

Keep in mind these are the Absolute Maximum Ratings of the part, NOT the recommended operating conditions. Running electronic devices at or above their Absolute Maximum Ratings is roughly equivalent to driving your car with the tachometer constantly at the red line.

Don't do it.

Dean Rantala

Joined Sep 27, 2018
Okay... so, let me be sure I understand this correctly...

This means that - in my case - the max power supply would be something like this:

(+11)===(Ground)===(-11)

The + and - connected to the OP amp is 22 volts total... So the above would be correct?

I ask because I have a power supply as follows:

(+16)===(Ground)===(-16)

This would mean a POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE of 32 volts... Meaning I would be over-powering the amp... correct?

Dean Rantala

Joined Sep 27, 2018
No.

Yes.

Keep in mind these are the Absolute Maximum Ratings of the part, NOT the recommended operating conditions. Running electronic devices at or above their Absolute Maximum Ratings is roughly equivalent to driving your car with the tachometer constantly at the red line.

Don't do it.
Thank you, OBW0549. That is what I was getting at.

So my +/- 16 volt (32 volts between the -/+) is perfect.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Okay... so, let me be sure I understand this correctly...

This means that - in my case - the max power supply would be something like this:

(+11)===(Ground)===(-11)

The + and - connected to the OP amp is 22 volts total... So the above would be correct?
No. Read what I wrote above, CAREFULLY.

I ask because I have a power supply as follows:

(+16)===(Ground)===(-16)

This would mean a POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE of 32 volts... Meaning I would be over-powering the amp... correct?
No.