Only one bid so far. Am I doing something wrong?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Crap. Sold for only $195. But inside the country. Guess it could have been worse, outside the US I would have had to pay a percentage on the shipping cost which really sucks.

Buyer has only 7 feedbacks so I suspect another fake or backout bidder. Time will tell.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Offer them an $11 discount if they pay within 24 hours (or something similarly short). Don't know if you can do that with eBay, but if you can I'd sure consider it to get payment as soon as possible before they realize how little more a new scope would have cost them.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Buyer has only 7 feedbacks so I suspect another fake or backout bidder. Time will tell.

Not necessarily. Everyone on ebay starts out with zero and works their way up.

The person could be a newbie to buying on ebay. I had many buyers who were well under 10 ratings. All good in the end but just not many due to not being high volume shoppers there.

Also the buyer protection program pretty much has you screwed right from the get go. :mad:

I know with the people who tried to screw me over I was unable to leave a bad mark on their ratings for it to let others know they were scammers and they had a fairly high feedback number. :mad:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/sellerprotection.html

You can report them to ebay but that's about it and if they chose to do nothing then the bad buyer gets to continue on doing what they do because their actions still make ebay money (off you) . :mad:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Offer them an $11 discount if they pay within 24 hours (or something similarly short). Don't know if you can do that with eBay, but if you can I'd sure consider it to get payment as soon as possible before they realize how little more a new scope would have cost them.

Or it could tip them off that something is up. ;) I would not know how to do this anyway other than promising to send them back $11 directly. I don't think you have a choice to pay less on an auction.

Yeah I still need to collect :(

It was strange. The bid jumped from $195 to $260 in seconds!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Or it could tip them off that something is up. ;) I would not know how to do this anyway other than promising to send them back $11 directly. I don't think you have a choice to pay less on an auction.

Yeah I still need to collect :(

It was strange. The bid jumped from $195 to $260 in seconds!
Possibly. If I had a seller make that offer to me, I'd tend to assume that they were just trying to get paid promptly. It's akin to the very common 2-10-net30 terms. But, as you say, it's largely a moot point in this case.

I haven't done anything on eBay for at least a decade (though my wife buys stuff on there from time to time, but I don't know if she bids or just used the buy-now options). But I seem to recall that, as a bidder, I could configure an auto bidder for me that would automatically up my bid so as to beat the highest existing bid by some fixed amount up to some maximum bid and that I could tell it not to make that feature active until a certain amount of time before the close of the auction. If that's still available, my guess is that you got to a point where at least two of those were active at the same time.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Possibly. If I had a seller make that offer to me, I'd tend to assume that they were just trying to get paid promptly. It's akin to the very common 2-10-net30 terms. But, as you say, it's largely a moot point in this case.

I haven't done anything on eBay for at least a decade (though my wife buys stuff on there from time to time, but I don't know if she bids or just used the buy-now options). But I seem to recall that, as a bidder, I could configure an auto bidder for me that would automatically up my bid so as to beat the highest existing bid by some fixed amount up to some maximum bid and that I could tell it not to make that feature active until a certain amount of time before the close of the auction. If that's still available, my guess is that you got to a point where at least two of those were active at the same time.

Yeah you can auto bid. Guess that is what happened here. Looks like you can't see auto bids after the auction ends like you can before.

Tomorrow is Monday, if bidder doesn't work for a bank or have a government job, I might not see payment till tomorrow evening. :(

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hopefully he will pay, but it IS a holiday and some people DO have lives that don't revolve around monitoring their eBay accounts continuously.

Out of curiosity, what is the eBay policy on how much time the successful bidder has to conclude the transaction (or at least contact the seller)? Do holidays count against it?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
He is also a west coast buyer. Just nervous considering my recent history. ;) Buyer has 48 hours t pay then you can open a case. One week for you to get your fee returned.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If this one doesn't work out, you might want to take a break and wait until February.

Maybe. My concern is that the price will drop more. Hard to believe I have tow buyers in a row that won't pay. This guy has a store so he might have an interest in keeping his rep even if it means swallowing buyers remorse. Plus he knows what it is like when buyers don't pay. At least that is my hope. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Maybe. My concern is that the price will drop more. Hard to believe I have tow buyers in a row that won't pay. This guy has a store so he might have an interest in keeping his rep even if it means swallowing buyers remorse. Plus he knows what it is like when buyers don't pay. At least that is my hope. ;)
It took the buyer some days to pay in the last expensive thing I sold. Be patient.