Only one bid so far. Am I doing something wrong?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well I did not pay $50 for the scope. I paid $400. Granted that was 5 years ago and I probably got my money's worth. What pisses me off is that it was sold, until some idiot threw a monkey wrench intto the works. :mad:

You should be bale to block bidders with x% feedback reference and or X total feed back references. The moron that won my bid had maybe 3 references. All you need to do is join under any old email an wreak havoc on bids.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To give an idea of how much of a moron this guy was, we wanted me to "cansel the order". and he was "sory".
Does that indicate that he is a moron, or just that he is communicating in a non-native language that he doesn't have much command of? If it's the latter, I'd be willing to bet that his spelling in English is far superior to my spelling in whatever his native language is.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes I did. I opened a case. And a lot good that agreement does. How are they going to force some anonymous person to pay? There is really no teeth in that agreement. When you bid you should have to put your bid in escrow. If you are the winning bidder then you pay if you like it or not. That would be the only thing that would force high bidder to pay.

And to make matters worse eBay charged me $11.95! I don't have my money but they have theirs! :mad:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
N
Does that indicate that he is a moron, or just that he is communicating in a non-native language that he doesn't have much command of? If it's the latter, I'd be willing to bet that his spelling in English is far superior to my spelling in whatever his native language is.
Bid was from inside the US. He is still a moron in my book. Bidding on something he does not want. As if it was some kind of "order" as he called it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes I did. I opened a case. And a lot good that agreement does. How are they going to force some anonymous person to pay? There is really no teeth in that agreement. When you bid you should have to put your bid in escrow. If you are the winning bidder then you pay if you like it or not. That would be the only thing that would force high bidder to pay.

And to make matters worse eBay charged me $11.95! I don't have my money but they have theirs! :mad:
I would agree that they should change the terms so that if eBay isn't able to get the buyer to honor the agreement they made, that the seller doesn't have to pay eBay. That would at least bring some alignment amongst motivations.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
N

Bid was from inside the US. He is still a moron in my book. Bidding on something he does not want. As if it was some kind of "order" as he called it.
Lots of people in the U.S. don't speak English as a native language. But I'm not saying that he isn't a moron. It's perhaps more likely that he isn't a moron, just highly unethical.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Lots of people in the U.S. don't speak English as a native language. But I'm not saying that he isn't a moron. It's perhaps more likely that he isn't a moron, just highly unethical.
@spinnaker, I bet you feel better knowing he is likely not a moron. We have proof right here that is is probably not one. Cool and helpful.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would agree that they should change the terms so that if eBay isn't able to get the buyer to honor the agreement they made, that the seller doesn't have to pay eBay. That would at least bring some alignment amongst motivations.

Seller does not have to pay eBay (supposedly). That is the purpose of the case. I think it needs to expire for me to get my money. But ebay shouldn't charge in the first place until you are pay.

P..S. They now charge no listing fee. Just percent of what was sold including shipping (which really sucks). But people were abusing shipping by jacing up the shipping charges and charging less for the item. Which doesn't make sense in an auction because it sells for what someone bids on it not what you are asking. So I can sell a widget for $.01 but charge $100 shipping, under old system I beat eBay. But in an auction a $100 widget will probably sell for around $100 nothing you can do to beat the system there.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What pisses me off too is I could have offered this on auction a month ago. But I was waiting for my Amazon gift cards from Capital One to buy the new scope. I had to reorder them as they never came so that wasted another 2-3 weeks. And something tells me I tossed them the first time thinking it was junk mail. I get so many freaking offers from them, it is easy to think it was junk mail.

I should have just put it up for auction right away but didn't want to go without a scope. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I guess. ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Sadly as I said before, ebay does not care one bit about sellers rights and protection to any degree.

That's why I gave up on them and will not go back. Idiot/unethical/crooked buyers can screw with good sellers until they get the good seller shut down or they just give up and walk away and ebay won't do a damn thing about it because they get their listing fee money out of the seller either way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why...ome..69i57.10664j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7 million plus hits in less than half a second on why ebay is crap to deal with now and almost every most relevant one mentions crap seller protection in the list of primary problems. :(

They are a crooked uncaring greedy company and people are fast waking up to it. :mad:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My current high bidder has a Steelers symbol for his icon. That has to be a good sign. ;)

But only 13 hours to go and no where near the $255 selling price of the previous one.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
And you have to request a refund after submitting and non payment complaint and after not getting paid. Probably a way for Google to skim more money out of people, in the hopes they don't request a refund. :mad:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just took a look at it - $187 at 9am PST with 9 hrs to go. I think you will do ok.

I might break $200 but doubtful I will get $250 when there are new ones out there for $300 now. Then again you never now. Sometimes people get into a frenzy. I suspect this is what happened with my previous auction. But the high bidder did not have character enough to stick with his agreement.

I have been working on a project with hacking an old scanner for another purpose. I screwed up the stepper motor, and in a panic buy bought another cheap scanner. I later realized that not only did I have another scanner in stock but the scanner I bought was too small to suit my needs. I did not ask the seller to cancel my mistake. I sucked it up and paid for the item.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am glad someone else bid over the Ukraine bidder. I will bet that is someone playing games. Not one reference looks suspect.