Only one bid so far. Am I doing something wrong?

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
You've got >2 weeks. I'd expect to see most of the action in the last hour or so. $165 is actually a great start.
[edit] uh, oops, 4 days not 2 weeks. but I still think it's a good start[/edit]

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think 2 week bids are a mistake. I know hey piss me off and I will go elsewhere. Especially for something like this where a number of people are sellling.

I hope this is not like my old house here my neighbor with the same house sold $20K for than mine :(

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Serious bidders wait till the last 8 to 10 seconds; experts wait till the last 2 seconds. Been there; done that.
Whitehaired Novice that's right! How eBay works there's no point in bidding until last moment! Also since price 2 winning bidder is always just one increment past 1'st runner up, a lot of ppl just over-bid instant b4 closing which can be vry nice for seller when _snipers_ collide:cool: I know cuz I used 2 collect SK lamps (which sold for like $200 in mint condition) so I always bid $10k to block snipers but twice I paid high ($5k and $8k) cuz (other:oops:) snipers had same idea:mad: But when u think on it, worth of item is personal which can be way more than just fmv so it pays 2b good sport cuz after all when that happens ur still paying lowest possible price 2 win auction:)!

I think 2 week bids are a mistake.
Spinnaker I say pro is greater exposure and con is strain on bidder's & seller's patienceo_O! But as inveterate _eBayer_ I say putting _Buy It Now_ option on listing is very good idea cuz a lot of ppl are totally happy to pay high just 2 have it w/o hassle of bidding:cool:! So speaking just for myself that's totally how I prefer 2 buy on Ebay but it's good idea to set BIN price to at least three times what UR realistically hoping for from winning bid:cool:! So maybe that's more applicable 2 collectables and limited availability items but I say some ppl go crazy on auctions buying things for more than new price:confused::)! Anyhow GOOD LUCK:cool:!

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Still only on freaking bid.

Should I have made it 2 weeks?
I didn’t look at your auction but I’ve sold a lot of stuff on eBay. I’m always careful to end my auctions at a convenient time for buyers, such as Sunday afternoon. All the action, if there is any, happens in the last minutes and you want that to fall at a convenient time.

Until then, all you really have is the count of watchers. The buyer is likely to come from that pool and if nobody is watching, a sale is unlikely. You always want a starting price you can live with in case only one buyer comes along.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I didn’t look at your auction but I’ve sold a lot of stuff on eBay. I’m always careful to end my auctions at a convenient time for buyers, such as Sunday afternoon. All the action, if there is any, happens in the last minutes and you want that to fall at a convenient time.

Until then, all you really have is the count of watchers. The buyer is likely to come from that pool and if nobody is watching, a sale is unlikely. You always want a starting price you can live with in case only one buyer comes along.
Yes I know Sunday is the best to end an auction but I did not want to start on New Years Eve so I started on Saturday.

The problem with putting too high a starting price is that you can scare off bidders. People do tend to get into a bidding frenzy so if you can just get them started the price could go well beyond what you expected you would get for the item.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The problem with putting too high a starting price is that you can scare off bidders. People do tend to get into a bidding frenzy so if you can just get them started the price could go well beyond what you expected you would get for the item.
That's why you put a reserve price on something. The lowest possible price you would let it go for. That way you are protected with a low starting price on a big ticket item.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well it didn't make it to what I was hoping but not too bad. Just sold for $255. I was hoping for $280. Others have just sold for $280 - $296.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agreed. EBay can be strange. I’ve seen people bid up used computers to more than what a new one costs. And I’ve seen bidding so light that the winner walks away with a heck of a bargain. There’s no predicting what can happen.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Agreed. EBay can be strange. I’ve seen people bid up used computers to more than what a new one costs. And I’ve seen bidding so light that the winner walks away with a heck of a bargain. There’s no predicting what can happen.

Looks like there are plenty new ones out there for $299 now. Why would you pay $296? It was a couple of months agoso maybe the price has dropped that much in just a couple of months?