Online guides for making toroidal inductors and transformers? (moot)

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
Looking at the one board I haven't really monkeyed around with, it has one bobbin-wound inductor, two toroidal inductors, and one toroidal transformer.

Are there any recommended online resources for "rolling your own" toroidal inductors?

When removing windings to change the inductance, how does one tell which end to start from and are turns counted from the inside or the outside?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Looking at the one board I haven't really monkeyed around with, it has one bobbin-wound inductor, two toroidal inductors, and one toroidal transformer.

Are there any recommended online resources for "rolling your own" toroidal inductors?

When removing windings to change the inductance, how does one tell which end to start from and are turns counted from the inside or the outside?
You go to the websites put up by the manufacturers of the materials. Everything you could want or need is there.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

Plenty
Turns are counted by passes through the center. Period. I don't know what you mean by inside or outside.

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
I eventually found a later version of this circuit that uses a safer voltage level for the drive circuitry AND only requires ONE inductor - and which value is 'close nuff' to an off-the-shelf part, that I can probably subtract a few turns to adjust the inductance down a bit (alternatively, I have a few boards of this later version that can be scavenged for coils).