Onity hotel door lock control board fault

born2fly

Joined Dec 5, 2020
Looking for any information on this proprietary pcb. Also any info on how a board like this board works (other than it being a receiver) would be very helpful. I'm just trying to understand it's operation so I can find the fault, seems there is a high failure rate and security issues years ago. A local hotel reached out to me and asked if I would have a look - curiosity & always wanting to learn more got the best of me. There is an issue with door able to unlock but remains that way after activation.onity_pcb.jpg

born2fly

Joined Dec 5, 2020
Looks like a Picmicro processor so code is most likely protected & proprietary?
I'm not sure, not much info is available online. I hope not - I just ordered a pic programmer thinking it may be a software issue. I wasn't able to find a component failure so that was my next possible option. Customer said they had purchased several replacement boards from authorized locksmith, but they weren't lasting more than a few months.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
What goes into Cn2? When the door is locked what voltage is on the lock or does it need voltage to open it. If so trace back the voltage to the pic to see if it is telling the lock to operate.

born2fly

Joined Dec 5, 2020
What goes into Cn2? When the door is locked what voltage is on the lock or does it need voltage to open it. If so trace back the voltage to the pic to see if it is telling the lock to operate.
The lock is powered by (4) 1.5v AA batteries or 6v. When activated using the key card, the control board mechanically triggers an electromagnetic lever on the bottom left of board which opens & closes the lockset. It could be a software issue & possible programmed obsolescence either after so many uses or after a certain date. BUT I will try as you suggested where the reader ribbon connects to the board once I get the card refilled. I neglected to mention - I do have a working lock to use for reference.