Once every four years - Vendée Globe

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
H
Good news at last!

Kevin Escoffier, skipper of PRB has been found and rescued by skipper Jean Le Cam early this morning at 0118h UTC after daybreak.

Jean had reached Kevin yesterday but lost sight of him in 6m waves. Three other boats were diverted to help in the search. Darkness set in and the search was postponed until daybreak. (It is summertime in the southern hemisphere so nights are very short especially that far south.)

Ironically, on January 6, 2009, during the 2008-2009 Vendée Globe, Vincent Riou, the then the skipper of PRB, rescued Jean Le Cam from his upturned IMOCA 60 which capsized at Cape Horn.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news...by-fellow-vendee-globe-competitor-jean-le-cam
Hi MrChips
Have you read post #7?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Now that the story unfolds. Kevin Escoffier's boat PRB hit a wave and broke the hull bending it 90°.
He had seconds to send a text message and grab his liferaft. The boat's distress beacon was activated automatically.

He spent over 11 hours in his liferaft before being resued by Jean Le Cam.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Now that the story unfolds. Kevin Escoffier's boat PRB hit a wave and broke the hull bending it 90°.
He had seconds to send a text message and grab his liferaft. The boat's distress beacon was activated automatically.

He spent over 11 hours in his liferaft before being resued by Jean Le Cam.
Unexpected transfer method of Kevin to the zodiac that would bring him to the warship Nivose. Watch here.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for this.

How did #32 Charal, Jérémie Bayou, turn back on Nov 12 to Les Sables d'Olonne on Nov 14, resume on Nov 17 and has almost caught up with the rear boats of the fleet? Amazing!
Since then I've been following closely Jérémie Beyou, who kept a consistent pace after restarting from Les Sables. As of today, he is in the 16th place and maintaining a regular pace. He left Cape Horn some time ago and is already heading NE. His incredible performance justifies his interest in restarting and demonstrates his quality and how performant the Charal is.

For anyone interested on reviewing any moment of the race, you can go back or forward at will using the control shown below. Enjoy

Control.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The difficulties and the efforts in overcoming their difficulties are absolutely amazing.

- sawing off a damaged hydrofoil
- removing and replacing a rudder
- climbing a mast 40 times?
- sailing with a broken autopilot
- sailing with a broken computer
- contaminated water generator
- damaged keel ram

I have been following this at least four times each day!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The difficulties and the efforts in overcoming their difficulties are absolutely amazing.

- sawing off a damaged hydrofoil
- removing and replacing a rudder
- climbing a mast 40 times?
- sailing with a broken autopilot
- sailing with a broken computer
- contaminated water generator
- damaged keel ram

I have been following this at least four times each day!
Yes!!

Wish we had Thomson and Beyou face to face, so to speak! First class skippers and top boats.

BTW, Alex Thomson left already South Africa with Hugo Boss repaired.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
@MrChips

My bet, based on no experience in regattas strategy:

Charal, as of now in 14th position at 1.100 miles from Clarisse Cremer, abnormal incidents excluded, would be arriving to Les Sables in 12th or even maybe 11th place.

Seems to have the steadiest (speed wise) performance of this race. And a good average all the time.

What do you think?

No matter who gets closer you are invited to celebrate here.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
@atferrari

I have never sailed on the open seas and oceans as you have. But having followed the Vendée Globe for the first time it would appear to me that racers prefer to be in a low pressure cell with cloudy skies than in a high pressure cell with clear blue skies and no wind.

You can have 500km and a day's lead ahead of the pack and you hit a high pressure cell and then you lose it all. The following boats will catch up with the lead boat. It amazes me that after 45000km and 68 days of racing the top nine boats are so close to each other. Anything can happen between now and the finish at Les Sables-d'Olonne.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
@atferrari I have never sailed on the open seas and oceans as you have.
For me, in freighters, wind was mostly always a factor that could go from a simple nuisance to a very serious problem but almost never of any help; same as sea swell. Currents instead, if you play wisely could help in long voyages.

@atferrari

I have never sailed on the open seas and oceans as you have. But having followed the Vendée Globe for the first time it would appear to me that racers prefer to be in a low pressure cell with cloudy skies than in a high pressure cell with clear blue skies and no wind.

You can have 500km and a day's lead ahead of the pack and you hit a high pressure cell and then you lose it all. The following boats will catch up with the lead boat. It amazes me that after 45000km and 68 days of racing the top nine boats are so close to each other. Anything can happen between now and the finish at Les Sables-d'Olonne.
To guesstimate force/direction of wind I got used to the concept of gradient between highs and lows what not always is that simple as in the Atlantic or the Indian and for different reasons.

The biggest surprise was Yannick Bestaven who led the lot so consistently for so many days in the Pacific, and in the 6th place as of today. ¡¡!!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Wondering if in the next 24 hours Louis Burton wouldn't be surprising everyone in spite of being quite far in the West.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Wondering if in the next 24 hours Louis Burton wouldn't be surprising everyone in spite of being quite far in the West.
I am thinking the same thing too.
He is in stronger winds and his boat is moving faster than the competition.
What I have often done in racing, when you are in a fleet behind the leaders, do something differently from the rest.

20210121 Vendeeglobe.jpg

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I am thinking the same thing too.
He is in stronger winds and his boat is moving faster than the competition.
What I have often done in racing, when you are in a fleet behind the leaders, do something differently from the rest.
Nice policy!

While I write this, he's already in the 2nd place.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
First boat, Charlie Dalin in APIVIA to cross the finish line in the next hour or so.
He will not be declared winner until the top boats finish because some of his closest rivals have time compensations for being diverted to assist in rescuing Kevin Escoffier earlier in the race.
All eyes on the computer screen now.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Had all my coins on Louis Burton but he went rather far in the last leg; a real pity. Liked his style.

Still following with similar interest Jéremie Beyou. I want to know his final performance to estimate what could have been his race with no damage.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
All going well, Jérémie Beyou should reach Les Sables today.

I admire his attitude and when all is over I will compare the actual time used since the second departure.

Not an expert at all myself but there is a mix of a good strategist and a very performant boat.

Last edited: