Every once in a great while something good happens in the world

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
People killing one another, beating on one another. People losing their lives and homes in fires and floods it seem nothing ever good happens in the world. But if you listen very closely and/or watch very carefully you will find something good happens in the world. This thread is dedicated to the good things that happen.

Here is the first edition. What a sweet little girl.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...-donation-from-30-year-old-stranger/872865507

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It's a great shame that the media always focus on disasters, crime and the worst of human nature. In the UK many years back someone published a good news newspaper, but it didn't last for many editions.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
People killing one another, beating on one another. People losing their lives and homes in fires and floods it seem nothing ever good happens in the world. But if you listen very closely and/or watch very carefully you will find something good happens in the world. This thread is dedicated to the good things that happen.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...-donation-from-30-year-old-stranger/872865507
Thanks for opening this thread. Feel-good news is something we all need. Especially in a world such as this in which so much negativity sucks the life out of people's souls.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018

Yeah. News like this keeps your faith in humanity intact. No matter how much hatred the media keeps displaying, even one such article/video fills your heart with happiness.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It is true; good news do not usually draw much attention. My youngest daughter used to contribute to a free-press site. The name was something like "Buenas nuevas" (Good news). Lasted less than three months IIRC. :(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

I saw a similar fascinating animal behavior with elephants. I was docent at out local zoo. I was part of a group that pioneered the now extremely popular shark tank dive program. On my way to "work" I would pass the elephant exhibit and pause to watch as they are probably my favorite animal.

Our exhibit was divided into two sections separated by a pond and a pile of scatted logs . The elephants would navigate through the pile to entertain themselves but it took some effort fo them to get through the logs to the other side of the exhibit.

On this ocassion the two sisters were separated by the logs. The one closet to me was swaying back and forth with her front legs. We were told in our training that this was a sign of stress. The sister on the other side would snort and stomp her feet and give her sister "the evil eye". I thought it was my imagination that she was objecting to her sisters swaying until she climbed through the logs, gave her sister a significant shoulder bump with a couple of snorts, walked back through the logs back to her side. Stomp her feet a couple more times with another snort and evil look. The swaying sister discontinued he behavior.

It has to be one of the most amazing animal behaviors I have witnessed.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011

Keith Urban serenades sick ‘super fan’ in hospital room

Why do I care so much? Marissa is my niece and her spirit is just incredible. With all her troubles she is a happy playful optimistic person.

This visit happened a month ago. She was on a decline that was probably terminal. Since that time her doctors discovered a problem with her shunt, which is a permanent tube implanted in her body. Marissa had a repair surgery this past Tuesday and she is doing great.

The doctors did what doctors do, but Keith Urban raised her spirits so much that day.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That is only $400 per farmer. Doesn't seem like a lot of money to most of us but a pretty good indication of how poor the farmers must be if they can't come up with $400 to save thier farm.
Yet another reason to be grateful for... we were lucky enough to have been born in a part of the world where opportunity for improvement can be found if one does a little digging and puts one's head to it ...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yet another reason to be grateful for... we were lucky enough to have been born in a part of the world where opportunity for improvement can be found if one does a little digging and puts one's head to it ...

What is really sad is there are SO many that waste that opportunity.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To put it in very basic terms, this is human evolution at work.
Once you have won the biggest lottery there ever was, i.e. being born, and the chances that you ever existed at all, should you automatically expect anything else?
We are among the lucky ones.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's a great shame that the media always focus on disasters, crime and the worst of human nature. In the UK many years back someone published a good news newspaper, but it didn't last for many editions.
I think in many respects this is a good thing. It's called "news" because it's about things that are new and out-of-the-ordinary. It may SEEM like disasters and crime are routine, but that's only because that's what gets reported and, like the overwhelming majority of "good news" out there, it wouldn't get reported if it truly were the norm. Even in most parts of the world that are the worst, neighbors doing good things for each other are far more common than the all-too-common crimes.

I think, deep down, we all know this, which is why a "good news" newspaper doesn't rate well. The truly shameful day will be when such newspapers DO make it because it may well indicate that we have slid so far that we truly believe that good news is the exception rather than the rule.