On/off a water pump with a microcontroller

BillysL

Joined Dec 14, 2022
Hi I am a beginner in electronics and I am building an agriculture drone which will have a pump to spray water. I was thinking of using an opto-isolated relay to do it but the problem is that my flight controller can only handle a 3.3v relay and the only opto-isolated relays I found on market are 5v. Is there any other way to do it perhaps using a transistor ?Also I have find some relays for 3.3v that are not opto-isolated if I use a diode can a make them a safe for my controller ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

You can use an optoisolator as a separate component to operate a relay or MOSFET.

What are the voltage and current requirements for the pump?

BillysL

Joined Dec 14, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

You can use an optoisolator as a separate component to operate a relay or MOSFET.

What are the voltage and current requirements for the pump?
Thank you very much for the help! The pump works on 12v and the max rated current is 350mA. The component that you send me is a relay or an optoisolator cause it says that is a relay but it has only 4 pins ? sorry about this simple question but I am a beginner in all this!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you very much for the help! The pump works on 12v and the max rated current is 350mA. The component that you send me is a relay or an optoisolator cause it says that is a relay but it has only 4 pins ? sorry about this simple question but I am a beginner in all this!
It is an optoisolated SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) SSR (Solid State Relay). Two of the pins are for the 3.3V control signal, the other two are just a switch.