Olympic rapid fire training aid

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Try connecting a 10 k R from Q1-2 to ground so that pin 2 rests at about 3 V allowing a shorter neg. pulse to set the 555.

MarkAB

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Try connecting a 10 k R from Q1-2 to ground so that pin 2 rests at about 3 V allowing a shorter neg. pulse to set the 555.
Tried this but still the same :(
Even tried with a 6.7K resistor bringing the voltage down to 2 v and still no reset :(

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Skip post 67; remove D1, D 2, R 1, R 2, R 6; connect open end of C 2 to Q1-2. Connect open end of SW
thru 1 k R to Q1-2. Coupling between Q3 & Q1 should be the same as Q1 to Q2. This works on breadboard,
why diode or gate is screwing up the works I'll save for a cooler day to figure out. Is the reset at power up working ?
For beep, need to know what type of sounder you will use. A small speaker might be easier to find?

MarkAB

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Skip post 67; remove D1, D 2, R 1, R 2, R 6; connect open end of C 2 to Q1-2. Connect open end of SW
thru 1 k R to Q1-2. Coupling between Q3 & Q1 should be the same as Q1 to Q2. This works on breadboard,
why diode or gate is screwing up the works I'll save for a cooler day to figure out. Is the reset at power up working ?
For beep, need to know what type of sounder you will use. A small speaker might be easier to find?
Done this but red light stays on ???
Might i have connected something wrong?
But reset works ;)

Where does C1 connect to?
Is this what the new circuit should look like?

Range Timer 3C 00002.jpg

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sorry, C 1 was supposed to be in remove list, no longer has a purpose. Remove R between ground & Q1-2, if it is 6k7 , might be holding Q1 on = red LED always on.

MarkAB

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Sorry, C 1 was supposed to be in remove list, no longer has a purpose. Remove R between ground & Q1-2, if it is 6k7 , might be holding Q1 on = red LED always on.
C1 and res to ground must be on for it to work
???
but it works lol

MarkAB

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Yes as always you are correct it works much better without the C1 and resistor to ground
Thanks Bernard
This is now the very last one 3E
Range Timer 3E 00000.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Need more inf. on HSDZ, does it have built-in oscillator, if so is it loud enough on 6V ? I would not pick any circuit until we knew what we were driving.

MarkAB

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Need more inf. on HSDZ, does it have built-in oscillator, if so is it loud enough on 6V ? I would not pick any circuit until we knew what we were driving.
It is a cheap buzzer that came with a "Workshop Component Kit Tutorial Starter Basic Element Package Set For Arduino"
I do not know if it has an oscillator but man is it loud, wife just complained it is too loudo_O

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Does it make a melodious sound or more raspy; wild guess that it might be an electromechanical buzzer, electromagnet & points, maybe an adjusting screw on back ? Still need to know current draw. Try connecting a 10 ohm R in series across 6V. Measure V across R. Did sound drop off some. ? Try adding more resistance
to see if sound will drop to an acceptable level.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
With a mcu, here is how simple it can get: a 8dip PIC12F675, two resistors, one capacitor, plus a switch, and some leds + buzzers.

For simulation purposes, I shrunk everything so that 10 milli-seconds in simulation = 1 second.

Timing sequence is as follows, after the switch is pressed (goes low):

1) buzzer (BUZ1 + BUZ2) sounds briefly: it goes on for a second / 10 ms - active high;
2) red led goes on for 60 seconds / 600ms - active low;
3) buzzer (BUZ1 + BUZ2) sounds briefly: it goes on for a second / 10ms - active high;
4) start a 7 second / 70ms delay;
5) red led goes off and green led comes on;
6) delay 5 seconds / 40ms;
7) all led / buzzer goes off
8) back to 1.

The code follows that logic:
Code:
        //sound buzzer briefly
        BUZ_ON();                            //sound buzzer briefly
        tmr1_dly1s(1);                        //ls delay
        BUZ_OFF();                            //buzzer off

//red led on, 1 minute delay
        LED_ON(LED_RED);                    //turn on red led
        tmr1_dly1s(60);                        //delay another 60 seconds

//sound buzzer briefly
        BUZ_ON();                            //sound buzzer briefly
        tmr1_dly1s(1);                        //ls delay
        BUZ_OFF();                            //buzzer off

//start with a 7-second delay
        tmr1_dly1s(7);

//turn off red led
        LED_OFF(LED_RED);
        //and turn on green led
        LED_ON(LED_GREEN);

//end with a 4 second delay
        tmr1_dly1s(4);

//turn off all leds and buzzer
        LED_OFF(LED_RED | LED_GREEN | LED_ORANGE);
        BUZ_OFF();
You can easily port it to other mcus, like an arduino. You can interlace the signaling, like what I did with the red / green leds.

The orange LED is not used.

Attachments