Oled frequency meter

E_enthusiast

Joined Aug 20, 2020
I wanted to make a frequency meter that displays the frequency on an oled display. The first idea was to use pulseIn() but I discovered it's a blocking function and it messed up with the oled, as it took quite long to update the screen. Now I am an absolute begginer and I want to avoid at any costs the interrupts, so is there any kind of code/library that will be useful? The frequency is generated by a 555 timer and it ranges from 10Hz to 10kHz. Any suggestions?
Edit: I am using an Arduino nano

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We have no idea where you're coming from or going.
Maybe you can begin by telling us which microcontroller and platform you intend to use.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm using an Arduino nano, I'm sorry I thought I mentioned this part on the post
It's considered impolite to modify a post to make a subsequent post appear clueless.

What is the objective of your project? You can buy a frequency counter kit on Ali Express for little more than the Nano costs. For $20, you can have a 200kHz digital oscilloscope.

E_enthusiast

Joined Aug 20, 2020
It's considered impolite to modify a post to make a subsequent post appear clueless.

What is the objective of your project? You can buy a frequency counter kit on Ali Express for little more than the Nano costs. For $20, you can have a 200kHz digital oscilloscope.
Well I didn't modify the post to make a subsequent post appear clueless, but to make others understand what my intentions are, but the way you answered is impolite and in a way you offended me. Anyway I'm obviously not looking for a 20buck oscilloscope

E_enthusiast

Joined Aug 20, 2020
Welcome to my ignore list.
I never asked you specifically to help me, I asked the community, and I don't consider what I did a bad thing, I did it so others can understand more what I want to do, anyway I'll ignore you now, I don't believe how impolite people are everywhere

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
One polite way to modify your post is to add the word "Edit:".
This way readers will understand that it was a postscript or addendum.

For example:

E_enthusiast

Joined Aug 20, 2020
One polite way to modify your post is to add the word "Edit:".
This way readers will understand that it was a postscript or addendum.

For example:

And this is a polite way to make someone understand, thanks I'll add that

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, it would appear that I did not read your post properly. I had to go back and checked if I had missed it.
The forum manager noted that your addendum was added about 40 minutes after the original post.

What you did was inappropriate and so was your following discourse with @dl324.

E_enthusiast

Joined Aug 20, 2020
Yes, it would appear that I did not read your post properly. I had to go back and checked if I had missed it.
The forum manager noted that your addendum was added about 40 minutes after the original post.

What you did was inappropriate and so was your following discourse with @dl324.
Yeah, I didn't know those rules, I apologize for that

B1cyc1e

Joined Aug 26, 2019
"Remember the human - Be courteous to others when replying." That was the text populating the post field on my screen before I began typing. Apparently, that did not appear for some of us. I am not frequently in the AAC forums, because I am involved with other hobbies these days and have little time for electronics outside of work (which oddly behaves much like the thread that I chose to view). Those hobbies have websites such as this and I could not tell you the last time I ran across someone being stomped down because their post was not succinct. The "etiquette" on those forums tend to leave out the exclusive clubhouse tone and tends to focus more on understanding the less succinct and actually communicating to help answer questions, be supportive, and encouraging of others. I hope the insecure multilingual and those insecure people that have nothing more to contribute but adding to their ignore list eventually, "Remember the human - Be courteous to others when replying", start listening, and maybe try to be positive and encouraging. It's not easy being nice, but if you try, maybe you'll like how you feel at the end of the day.
Well AAC, to quote an expert from the pacific northwest, "Welcome to my ignore list".
EDIT: I'm sure there are some grammatical errors in there somewhere, please feel free to correct in many languages, living and otherwise, so that others may learn and grow.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I would think using an internal timer and interrups would be the way to go. Why do you not want to use an interrupt?
If you need reasonably accourate results, the sample time needs to be accurate too. Just running in a loop is not.
Have you searched for example code?

Len33

Joined May 13, 2015
Welcome to my ignore list.

As a subscriber to this site, I find your 'holier than thou' 'I'm offended' snowflake, crass, insulting attitude to be totally unacceptable and unneccesary. There's always someone waiting to be offended by the slightest error but, being that you have never erred, I don't expect you to understand that. Don't be so 'touchy' in future. Want to ban me from this site? Go ahead!