Old Radio Manuals available online

tailwag

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Hi Radio Friends,

The Manual Museum is an awesome "FREE" resource that is collecting, formatting and storing manuals in PDF format and giving them away for free, check out the site at: http://manualmuseum.com/

We can all help by sending copies of different radios, in PDF format to info@manualmuseum.com scan each page using PDF format, that way it will come out looking exactly the same as your real world copy. This will help put these valuable and especially older manuals that are no longer in print, available to hobbyists of not only today but especially the future.

Let's get behind this worthwhile venture, before it’s too late and they are lost forever. Even send the latest manuals, because it’s funny how quickly what was in vogue yesterday is soon today’s fish and chips wrapper.

Thanks for reading and helping them out.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Its all very nice and a good idea but is this a one way sort of deal? I see no way to actually view any manuals that they claim to have. If you can't see them what's the point?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It claims to send the manual by e-mail and asks for a donation. The Fair Use button on the site's home page explains why.

Boat Anchor Manual Archive is another useful site.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello John,

You are pointing to a copyright notice.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. News and informational articles presented herein are for the non-profit purposes of comment, education and news reporting. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in the Commonwealth of Australian Copyright Act 1968.

This manuals on our website pages are for the purpose of self training in amateur context. It allows for technical investigations in regards to the content matter for amateur users without any pecuniary interest. The spirit of amateur hobbyists and repairmen in every country brings us altogether to enjoy what is very much an interest to them without having to pay for enriching their hobby. The first principle of this website is technical investigation which encourages experimentation and other technical activities in a spirit of mutual friendship and admiration. Therefore, some of the files on this website are copyrighted and are not authorized to be used without a respective authorization from the companies that have their rights. Many manuals have had their copyright lapse and the companies no longer exist and the preservation of many of the manuals in the museum’s collection serves as an historical archive to preserve the past for future generations to explore the foundations of the hobby or area they are interested in.
Copyright:
Images and manual extracts on this site are reproduced for the purposes of research and study only. Whilst every effort has been made to trace the Copyright holders, we would be grateful for any information concerning Copyright of the images or extracts and we will withdraw them immediately on Copyright holder's request.
To read a review of Australian Copyright Collecting Societies Simplification of the Copyright Act: Part 1, click here.
To read the full Commonwealth of Australia COPYRIGHT ACT 1968, click here.

They probably only give links to "partner" websites to avoid the rights to link to copyrighted material directly.

The BAMA is a good source for the older manuals.
I also have put it in the Useful Website thread some time ago.

Greetings,
Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Our computers are tricky. When I click on that link, I get this:

Let me play with it a little and see what I can figure out. Can you try that URL in the header and see what you get?

EDIT: What is the URL of the site you use to get to BAMA? I will add it to my post.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello John,

What happens when you use Firefox as browser?
I use Firefox all the time. I see the BAMA homepage.
What you see is correct.

I use this link : http://bama.sbc.edu/

Greetings,
Bertus

PS I am running a LINUX computer, so I do not have explorer.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use IE6 on this computer. The only thing I don't like about IE6 is that I can't have multiple sessions ("tabs") like with IE7. There are some things I didn't like about IE7, so I just stayed with IE6. Haven't tried Firefox, but I might.

It must be an OS/browser difference. I will start just posting the actual link rather than use the link button.

Thanks for pointing out that issue.

John