old r/c set, how far from oem freq can i go by crystalvchages.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
20yo furaba 2ch fm digital proportional. oem 40.680MHz. analog out Rx. tx/ex. crystals are push in type, awkward to nowvget, due to re-assigned ether. do not knw if same boxes were sold with range of working crystals back then nor what tollerances the boxes had. some deviation way be necessary to keep it legal, i only need 50m range.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
thx, don't suppose 10-15MHz change possible, enen if onlt single stage RF transmitter/recievers. thos rf stages would be tuned to oem band.? like i say, a big range reduction acceptable. i'm in autralia, and the bandwidth is now re-assigned, making use illegal. heavy fines for breach of rules. just don't want it damaged by the reflections. it's one of the pictured type.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
To change 15 Mhz/40 MHz you would need to do some retuning, including changing the antennas. Then there is the other problem of transmitting on a frequency which was not allocated for remote control.

You don't want this:
"After pleading not guilty to an offence against the Radiocommunications Act 1992, for the unlicensed operation of a radiocommunications device, Mr Leoudis received a penalty of $4000 plus court costs totalling $65, while his radio transmitter was forfeited to the Commonwealth."

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is also the problem of “type acceptance”. I haven’t looked into the Australian regulator’s version of it, but even if you could modify the transmitter it would almost certainly not be legal to operate in that state. The frequency is not enough, it has to be proven to comply with the standards for output power and spurious emissions, as a model of device, not just as itself.