Old projector to a new laptop

Jeanguypataterubberboot

Joined Aug 29, 2016
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I have a Mitsubishi XL30U projector that I'm trying to connect to my HDMI laptop. The projector has a Mini D-sub 15p connector. What would I need to make this work? I tried with a VGA cable and HDMI adapter but no luck. It says "no Signal" Also, if you determine that this should work, is there a way to test the input on the projector connector so I know it works?

Thanks for the help

Pierre

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You need something that actually converts VGA (analog) to HDMI (digital) HDMI to VGA. Most converters aren't bi-directional, so make sure you get the correct one.

EDIT: corrected conversion direction.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
converts VGA (analog) to HDMI (digital).
That's the wrong direction.
He needs an HDMI to VGA converter, such as this.

Alternately he could use an HDMI to Component (not composite) converter, since the projector also has component inputs.
is there a way to test the input on the projector connector so I know it works?
The only likely way to test the inputs is with a known good signal.

Last edited:

Jeanguypataterubberboot

Joined Aug 29, 2016
That's the wrong direction.
He needs an HDMI to VGA converter, such as this.

Alternately he could use an HDMI to Component (not composite) converter, since the projector also has component inputs.

The only likely way to test the inputs is with a known good signal.
Thanks for the help guys. I have that exact same part and it doesn't work Which is why I was wondering if there might be something wrong with the projector connection.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
What is the intention? See a projection image on the laptop screen; see the laptop screen projected to a wall ?
Manufacturers have the nasty habit of omitting 'input' and 'output' labels on the HDMI jack connectors. They are probably saving ink at the expense of confusing users.
Try your HDMI port with other devices to ensure direction and if works.

Jeanguypataterubberboot

Joined Aug 29, 2016
What is the intention? See a projection image on the laptop screen; see the laptop screen projected to a wall ?
Manufacturers have the nasty habit of omitting 'input' and 'output' labels on the HDMI jack connectors. They are probably saving ink at the expense of confusing users.
Try your HDMI port with other devices to ensure direction and if works.
I have my laptop connected from the HDMI to a VGA monitor using the adapter and it works. I pull the plug out of the monitor and plug it into the projector and I get "No signal". I am starting to think there may be a wire broken in the projector.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have my laptop connected from the HDMI to a VGA monitor using the adapter and it works. I pull the plug out of the monitor and plug it into the projector and I get "No signal". I am starting to think there may be a wire broken in the projector.
If the adapter/converter works with a VGA monitor, then I'd suspect a problem with the projector.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the resolution of the projector?
It can be that the given resolution is to high and the projector can not handle it.

Bertus

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So it does look like there's a problem with the VGA input.
If you can't find/borrow an old computer with a VGA output to test and know for sure, then you may have to consider using the component inputs instead with an HDMI to component converter, such as one of these.