Old Programming Books

patlaw

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Way back when, I purchased quite a few books to learn Microsoft C, and QuickBasic, QuickC. For space purposes, I need to get rid of them. With everything being online now, is it likely that anyone wants them? They're in the US, and they'd be too expensive to ship. If I donate them to the library, they will probably recycle them. I'm thinking they're not worth listing (for free) on craigslist or another online sales group.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Where in the U.S.?

Many libraries accept donations and then have book fares once or twice a year to raise money for the library. Many also will put books that don't sell on "for-free" shelves. So it might be worth a few phone calls to identify a local library (perhaps a university library) that will treat the books in a way that suitably honors the gift.

You can look here to see if a place near you is accepting donations. I would also reiterate, that your local library a place that might know of donation places, in addition to any book fairs.

I used to frequent such places compulsively and discovered many great finds. Having gone almost entirely electronic, I do not do so very often anymore, but I know these place still exist.

I once bought a book at such a place that I frequented because it looked so interesting. Later, I discovered that I had actually donated the book (the very copy because of something that I found inside) a year earlier :) - hey, I knew it looked good.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Way back when, I purchased quite a few books to learn Microsoft C, and QuickBasic, QuickC. For space purposes, I need to get rid of them. With everything being online now, is it likely that anyone wants them? They're in the US, and they'd be too expensive to ship. If I donate them to the library, they will probably recycle them. I'm thinking they're not worth listing (for free) on craigslist or another online sales group.

Take them to the recycle bin. Books regarding a long dead programming enviroment have zero value. I wouldn't even bother to donate them. I would not want to do that to a library.