ohm's law for linear and nonlinear circuit

montzar

Joined Dec 10, 2014
I have a question why we draw the current on the y-axsis and the voltage on x-axsis and what is the benefit of ohms law for linear and nonlinear circuit experiment please..

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
We draw current and voltage on a graph when we want to see a visual representation of the current versus voltage in a circuit. If the circuit is linear the plot is a straight line. Otherwise it's a non-linear circuit.

There is no "benefit" for Ohm's law. It is simply the relationship between voltage and current in a resistive circuit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To elaborate on my previous answer. Ohms law works for all kinds of circuits. It works for linear circuits and it works for non-linear circuits. It works for DC circuits and it works for AC circuits.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Typically a Cartesian graph uses the X axis for the independent variable (the one you can change at will) and the Y axis for the dependent variable (the one that is a function of the other). That is the convention.

It is oft the case that following that convention will result in a graph that displays some information in a useful fashion.

That is all it is.

The same convention is followed when either variable may be the driving force. For example, you may control the voltage across a diode to read the current, or drive the current and read the voltage. Either way works, but by convention voltage is shown on X, current on Y.

Also, Ohm’s Law is an empirical approximation over a limited span. For example, if I put 100 volts across a 1 ohm ½ watt resistor Ohm’s law predicts I get a constant 100 amps of current.

In reality I get a brief current followed by a bang and some smoke. Don’t try this at home!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Typically a Cartesian graph uses the X axis for the independent variable (the one you can change at will) and the Y axis for the dependent variable (the one that is a function of the other). That is the convention.

It is oft the case that following that convention will result in a graph that displays some information in a useful fashion.

That is all it is.

The same convention is followed when either variable may be the driving force. For example, you may control the voltage across a diode to read the current, or drive the current and read the voltage. Either way works, but by convention voltage is shown on X, current on Y.

Also, Ohm’s Law is an empirical approximation over a limited span. For example, if I put 100 volts across a 1 ohm ½ watt resistor Ohm’s law predicts I get a constant 100 amps of current.

In reality I get a brief current followed by a bang and some smoke. Don’t try this at home!
Everybody knows that devices stop working when you let the magic smoke out.