Off/On hire asset date time device Any clues ?

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Does anyone know of such a device commercially available : Not GPS.
concept
Device is a self contained time keeper ( watch battery maybe) detachable to equipment.
With USB input.
Hirer : plugs in small numeric key pad. Enters code Asset ID /user id. ( user = person hiring asset)
Device ( on button input) records date time (on hire) creates file name ( asset id /user id) Stored internally
On return of asset: Hirer ( with input button) Stops hire clock . Device records total time of hire and stores.
Hirer can insert mem stick to down load history to pc ( or direct pc to USB and delete all start again.)

Low volumes small scale operations. Only small memory needed. ( this is for our Allotment LOL)
Had a vision : My Clip on guitar tuner: with a usb input : Couple of user buttons Start hire Stop hire Tiny display when entering details.

Am I dreaming thanks MsO
( and we grow vegetables LOL )

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

Great idea. Hopefully you have come to the right place for viable solutions.

As usual, customer has an idea in mind.
Designer has own ideas.
Sales department throws in some additional requests.
Management derails the project.

Ok. Let's see if we can take this from the top.

1) Small battery operated device is attached to a physical tool (gardening spade, for example).
2) Member comes along to rent the tool.

Possible user interface:
1) Push buttons on the device.
2) Smart phone.
3) User smart card.
4) User RFID tag or button.
5) Handheld controller (no wires).
6) Other solution.

Let us discuss the above.
I think you have a great idea. Let's keep an open mind and look outside the box if we can.

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Thankyou Mr Chips. ohh Many are of a different generation to smart phone internet kind of thing ( avoid arduinos etc.)
My thought : If helps So equipment can be returned remotely by user.
Device is detached from equipment when on hire> Each asset has a designated parking space
The device stays with the parking space . Equipment could have a magnet attached. Park space reed relay to operate to " end hire " > sort of remote user end hire auto huh ?
Just simple button switch control be good for most.

Constructing electric powered wheel barrow too.

Ms O

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is another thought.
The device on the tool can be as simple as a printed bar code or an RFID tag.
There is no need to have wires or batteries on the device.

You can have multiple ways of doing the asset tracking and management, including smart phone. I don't want to eliminate any possible viable solutions. I would be hesitant to rely on memory sticks/cards or USB connections. I am leaning towards RF/Bluetooth, or IR.

I think we need to toss a few ideas around. Think outside the box, I say.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here are two systems you may want to investigate for something along these lines.

1) Bike share rentals. User uses an ID/credit card or user ID code to unlock a bike.

2) Library loan system. Each item has an RFID tag. User has to sign out the item using a user/ID card. A sensing/security system at the door records anyone leaving without proper sign-out.

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Hello guys Before I get lost and forgotten
Thanks all ideas but but they look OTT for us .
Is use of real time clock chips much under exploited in many stand alone projects? Maybe even the chap with the water meter issue Take a photo of the meter each time period.

I found many such chips all seem to be looking for a use ?

Look
https://makezine.com/2019/01/18/getting-started-with-real-time-clocks .linked to arduino stuff ( oh no) but hey its a pointer.
Then this chip looks nearly there DS2404 " Econram time chip . Says :
"offers a simple solution for storing and retrieving vital data and time information with minimal hardware." can anyone help take it form there. ciao Ms O

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are many RTC (real time clock) chips available. There are more than enough MCU (microcontroller unit) solutions available.
That is beside the point.

I am not just an electronics engineer. I am a systems design engineer. We don't just look at the trees and the leaves. We see the whole forest and the whole planet Earth. That is to say, the problem is not about circuit implementation. The implementation will be tackled after we solve the entire data acquisition and management system. This is called Top-Down Design.

I hope you follow what I am saying.

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
There are many RTC (real time clock) chips available. There are more than enough MCU (microcontroller unit) solutions available.
That is beside the point.

I am not just an electronics engineer. I am a systems design engineer. We don't just look at the trees and the leaves. We see the whole forest and the whole planet Earth. That is to say, the problem is not about circuit implementation. The implementation will be tackled after we solve the entire data acquisition and management system. This is called Top-Down Design.

I hope you follow what I am saying.
Thanks again . Appreciate Philosophy. You point to arduino. OK I hate software. always something not accounted for. Pondering Last time : All these data time chips available. Someone has added a flat numeric key pad/ lcd display / memory : User enters details . Recorded as file name data time stamp for output to USB. . I dont have the expertise. Oh well
Have just made a DIY flat pancake slip ring ( Old CD ) 4 rings 4mm width. For my flat model railway turntable. No stepper motors No software Accurate..For those who dont want to drill large basin holes in their floor boards (The only other alternative . LOL ) I'll stick with that project for now. Thankyou Mr chips Ms O

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
While I do not know if this could help, two years ago I run across shackles manufactured by Crosby (top quality) fitted with an RFID to verify their WLL (working load limit) plus ancillary info.

Considering that shackles sustain a rather rough usage, it seems they found RFID label suitable.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Just because you hate something could mean that you are ultimately eliminating a perfect solution.
You are focused on the implementation of the solution rather that seeing the whole solution.

Just suppose you have some data logged on to a memory stick. What are you going to do with the data?
Can you anticipate that you will have a data management nightmare?

Forget about the implementation at this stage and work out how you will manage the data.
This is the concept of top-down design.

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Hello Mr Chips /all . Forgive if I reopen again . perhaps not explicit : Not reinvent the wheel ?
Appears technology " module" already exists in many commonly available consumer goods Eg average camera. ( dont want to take photos )
Request : Can someone point me to a friendly supplier where I might buy a ready made "module" Time date keeper with user interface : Or I might open a dialogue with them ? Function very basic
( initial set date time) Type (hirer id no) " Enter" > Module creates hirer id file name/ appends current date time with that id. Stored.
On return Simple switch input: ( on docking station) Update existing file name with new date time Both records kept
Memory ( history ) available to download to removable ( usb) mem device for late transfer to "other pc"

Bob . Misunderstanding : No the device stays with the equipment docking station. Hirer on return to dock station (switch input Date time update) As simple as reed relay on device record return. Discreet magnet permanently attached to asset . Similar principle standard laptop lid open closed device.
Forgive : We are a volunteer organisation. Some volunteers not pc literate : Email complete mystery . Our paper system falling over. Assets not big money to many but are to us if lost / missing./ untraceable.
Grateful to open a dialogue with any supplier " time date" recorder "module" Off the shelf you may know. Feel someone makes these things for breakfast.
All the best Ms O( PS my experimental diy pancake slip ring looking good. trial next controlled dc servo on revolving rotor. Maintain angle Wish me luck.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello MsO,

I fully understand your situation. I believe that there is no simple solution readily available and any commercially off-the-shelf solution will cost thousands of ‎£.

This is not to deter you from finding a viable solution. I would suggest finding someone who has some knowledge in this area and to look for a solution that fits your needs.

If I were to attempt to do this (which I probably will at some point since it fits into my interests with shared community assets) I would seek out a radio system that logs the required data directly into a computer database or spread sheet. This is why I suggest ignoring the implementation at this stage and think of what you need to do with the data. At this stage this is a data management issue.

MsOtis

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Thankyou Mr chips reply encouraging we share " shared community assets" Shared interest to develop something simple?

OK Put me on learning curve.? Teach me simple circuit basics ? : 1-9 user input key pad. Enter a number. Sore it in memory Retrieve it
lcd or 7 seg display. Learner start : I can handle a 555 timer cct . ( Versatile with relay motor control etc switching stuff )
Clearing out dads garage :
Found hundreds of memory chips: M27C801-80F All in original ant stat package Start with that ? Ms O Just point me where to start ?
I'll ask "Spark fun" meantime
Problem with Arduino shields etc Just too big.

upload_2019-9-14_20-17-51.png